Urban Farm Training Program The Youth Farm
- Date Posted December 04, 2015
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job Type Internship/Apprentice
Our application is now live. Apply HERE. Applications due 2/1/2016.
JOIN US for an INFO SESSION to learn more about out 2016 URBAN FARM TRAINING PROGRAM:
Hosted by Farm Managers Molly Culver and Erin Mercier
Head to our Blog for dates, times and locations for our Info Sessions.
Please email molly (at) bkfarmyards.com to be placed on an UFTP’16 Interest List, and to receive an in-depth Information Packet.
OUR URBAN FARM TRAINING PROGRAM offers adults the chance to experience what it takes to farm and explore a career in organic agriculture through hands-on training on a 1 acre diversified farm in the middle of Brooklyn, NY.
As a student farmer at the Youth Farm you will gain many valuable growing skills necessary for cultivating a wide variety of vegetables and cut flowers appropriate to our region.
Through this intensive 22-hr per week commitment, you will gain the invaluable experience of nurturing crops and soil day to day and gain a sense for the physical and mental energy required to run a small farming operation that produces high quality vegetables, beautiful flowers, and a rich and harmonious community space.
For those interested in transitioning to a career in agriculture, we aim to provide as immersive an experience as possible, by providing focused hands-on training on one site, where you will be part of the growing experience, from seed to harvest.
What can you do with your Urban Farming Certificate?
- Manage a 1 acre diversified farm
- Start new urban agriculture projects, up to an acre
- Accept jobs as gardening coordinators at NYC schools
- Manage NYC farmers markets
- Launch your own urban agriculture and landscaping business
- Enhance an existing wellness and nutrition consulting business
- Work in floral design or transition your floral design business to using local, seasonal flowers
- Accept competitive rural farm apprenticeships
- Gain a broad understanding of urban farming systems and network with the brightest in the field to take your passion to the next level
“This training provided me with an opportunity to learn side by side with experienced farmers.”
“There was so much opportunity for hands on work and the farmers were all very patient, kind and knowledgeable about the work.”
“I thought the schedule was a really perfect balance of feeling like you were consistently on the farm, while also being able to work on the side to support myself.”
“This program changed my life for the better and made this summer probably one of the BEST summers I have ever experienced.
“This program has provided me with a more realistic view of what it takes to be a farmer.” Compensation this position is UNPAID: barter How to apply