Health and Wellness Coordinator Community Access
- Date Posted September 01, 2016
- Location New York, NY
- Category Agriculture / Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
Community Access expands opportunities for people living with mental health concerns to recover from trauma and discrimination through affordable housing, training, advocacy and healing-focused services. We are built upon the simple truth that people are experts in their own lives.
- Human Rights We challenge and lead the mental health system towards greater rights-based policies and practices.
- Peer Expertise We are dedicated to a workforce where at least 51% of our employees identify as having a personal experience using mental health services. We ensure that the voices and wisdom of individuals who have used mental health services have a visible and active presence in all aspects of our work.
- Self-Determination We defend the right of all individuals to create lives of their own choosing.Harm ReductionWe embrace policies and practices that promote dignity, wellbeing and access to health care.
- Healing and Recovery We seek out and promote culturally relevant, trauma-informed and research-based opportunities for individual and community wellness.
The Health and Wellness Coordinator provides leadership, support, development and implementation of Community Access’ agency-wide wellness agenda, recognizing the social determinants of health and embracing wellness in the physical, emotional, environmental and spiritual domains.
The Coordinator is engaged in food-related activities including
- Planning, supervision and participation in urban agriculture
- Oversight of development and implementation of healthy menus, with a focus on locally sourced ingredients, at assigned sites including Gouverneur Court,
- Wellness education and advocacy.
- Collaboration with staff and program participants to support the creation and implementation of physical activity and food programs.
- Working with Health Division staff to develop whole-health campaigns and resources consistent with agency and regulatory standards.
- Supervision of 3 full time staff members, two chefs and one coordinator of urban agriculture.
Qualified candidates must have
- Understanding, appreciation, and commitment to the philosophy and mission of Community Access;
- Expertise in the fields of food studies, nutrition, urban agriculture, public health, and/or related fields;
- Commitment to working with individuals who experience barriers to accessing nutritious foods and quality health care, including individuals with mental health concerns, individuals living with HIV/AIDS, individuals with histories of homelessness, individuals using drugs/alcohol, etc;
- Ability to use planning, judgment and problem-solving skills to develop, assess and improve upon health and wellness programs and activities;
- Capacity to develop programing and activities which address the social determinants of health and are culturally relevant;
- Knowledge of NYC food, wellness, and health resources that serve those living with long-term chronic health concerns/those living in poverty; Have skills to promote access to health and wellness opportunities utilizing a harm reduction, person-centered approach;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Management/supervisory experience required;
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to work as part of a team;
- Ability to utilize various computer programs;
- Creativity and flexibility;
- Ability to maintain confidential information, as related to position;
- Initiative responsiblity for follow through
Bilingual Spanish-speaking, preferred. Ability to speak other relevant languages, dependent upon specific needs of tenants;
Must be fingerprinted and cleared by the Justice Center (JC).
Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.Compensation this position is : salaried Application instructions