- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
Cheesemaking Internship Acorn Hill Farm
- Date Posted October 04, 2016
- Location Walker Valley, NY
- Category Agriculture / Culinary
- Job type Internship/Apprentice
Acorn Hill Farm - A little goat farm with an organic and sustainable philosophy.
Established in 2002 and located in Walker Valley, NY at the base of the Shawangunk Ridge, Acorn Hill Farm produces a variety of fresh chevre, Greek style feta, fresh ricotta, yogurt, and raw milk aged cheeses using only the milk of our small herd of organically managed dairy goats. All our cheeses are handmade in small batches in our on farm micro-creamery using only vegetarian rennet and, when used, organic herbs.Internship description
This is a dynamic opportunity to learn about making farmstead cheese, yogurt, and fudge. Work in the Creamery can be both frustrating and rewarding with sanitation a big part of work in the creamery. We wash a wide variety of milk and cheesemaking equipment both small and large and basic and menial tasks that are critical to production of delicious and safe products are a part of each day. Days can be long but you will learn the seasonal changes in both milk production and cheesemaking along with the steps to making our cheeses and getting products out to market. Business and marketing skills for both retail and wholesale outlets are also explored as part of internship.
Position Description: Internship involves receiving milk, packaging product, cleaning equipment, care of cheese, assisting with cheesemaking . The internship is a minimum 4 month commitment, that can evolve into long-term employment for the right person.
Housing: On Farm, one bedroom apartment in our house with full kitchen and bathroom, .
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Consistent attention to cleanliness and sanitation, as well willingness to learn why procedures are necessary.
- Positive attitude
- Good communications and listening skills along with curiosity and wiliness to ask questions, voice concerns, and work to problem-solve
- Meticulous and detail oriented
- Eager to learn
- Comfortable working 10 hours on your feet
- Schedule flexibility and willingness to put in the extra hours when surprises pop up or it is kidding season
- Ability to lift 50 lbs frequently
- Commitment to making high quality farmstead cheeses
- Must have a valid drivers license
Desirable but not required:
- Previous food production/handling experience
- Familiarity with food safety procedures
- Cheesemaking knowledge
- Dairy or farming background