Vegetable Production Apprentice McEnroe Organic Farm
- Date Posted November 02, 2016
- Location Millerton, NY
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Internship/Apprentice
McEnroe Organic Farm is a NOFA-NY LLC certified organic farm producing compost and soils, organic and naturally raised meats, greenhouse tomatoes, seasonal produce and nursery plants. Our soils and compost are approved for organic production, and since 1987 have been used by farmers, gardeners, and for landscaping projects and green roof installations. We are dedicated to educating our customers, their families, and the community, as well as our own employees, about the benefit of local organic food at a farm that integrates high-quality production with wildlife protection. With a year-round market and education programs for visitors, we farm over 1,000 acres in Millerton, NY, in Northern Dutchess county.Internship description
Vegetable Production Apprentice- the vegetable apprentice will work in our NOFA-NY certified organic greenhouse and field operations. Our year-round Farm Market is the main site of produce sales and the Market Kitchen utilizes our own produce for prepared foods and value-added products (pickles, tomato sauces). The apprentice will work both in the fields and in the greenhouses.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience in gardening and/or vegetable production required, with experience in organic growing practices preferred.
- Experience doing physically demanding work outdoors and in hothouse conditions is expected.
- Must be comfortable using and maintaining tools and mechanized gardening equipment. Previous experience with farm equipment is a plus.
- Flexible, resourceful, and able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Candidate must have a valid driver's license.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish is preferred.
- Applying best practices in organic agriculture (e.g., integrated pest management, managing soil fertility)
- Field responsibilities: transplanting seedlings, weeding, harvesting and washing and packing produce for sales and use in the market as well as for wholesale orders.
- Greenhouse responsibilities: Seed-starting, transplanting nursery starts, grafting and pruning tomato plants, harvesting, pest management, and washing and packing produce.
- Assist with enterprise budgets.
- Potentially represent McEnroe Organic Farm at farmers’ markets and other events.
- Travel required on occasion from farm to locations in and around the Hudson Valley.
- Assist in other areas of farm operation as needed.
This is a 6 month, full time position starting in April. There is the possibility of extension.
50+ hour work week, overtime will be paid after 40 hours.
Frequent weekend work required.
Weekly apprentice meetings. Meeting topics will be determined by apprentices at the beginning of the season. (Topic examples: soil fertility, integrated pest management, vegetable wholesale).
Compensation is $9.70/hour and shared on farm housing if interested.
Additional education opportunity: McEnroe Farm is part of the Mid Hudson Valley CRAFT (Collaborative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training). Apprentices may opt to visit and learn from other farms at bi-monthly CRAFT events.Compensation this position is : hourly, under $15/hr