- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
Events and Development Intern Billion Oyster Project
- Date Posted November 18, 2016
- Location New York, NY
- Category Nonprofit
- Job type Internship/Apprentice
About Billion Oyster Project
Billion Oyster Project is an ecosystem restoration and education initiative of New York Harbor Foundation that aims to restore a sustainable oyster population to New York Harbor and reconnect New Yorkers with their local marine environment by actively involving them in the hands on science of restoration.
About New York Harbor Foundation:
New York Harbor Foundation is a regional environmental education 501(c)(3) non-profit that seeks to improve the access to, awareness and education about, and condition of New York Harbor. We lead the Billion Oyster Project, a large-scale marine restoration effort to restore one billion live oysters to New York Harbor by 2035. Our lead educational partner in New York City is the New York Harbor School, a public high school located on Governors Island in New York Harbor.Internship description
Help the Billion Oyster Project bring together 40+ oyster farmers, 20 of NYC's top restaurants, high schoolers (who also happen to be part-time urban oyster restorers) and 1000+guests for one special evening celebrating oyster restoration and education!
Billion Oyster Project (BOP) is looking for an innovative, creative and detail oriented spring intern to join its Events & Development team. The intern will work on planning the Billion Oyster Party and also help with general social media, donor relations, and communications needs of the organization.
The ideal candidate should have experience in event production and/or fundraising and an interest in restoration, the environment, education and hospitality. This role requires an unabashed problem solver, a confident multi-tasker, experience in creating event documentation and managing event executions -- from dealing with vendors and entertainment to fearlessly brainstorming with the team to develop an unforgettable experience. The selected candidate will gain experience in working with a growing, fast paced non-profit and gain incredible event management and production insights. The intern will report to the Corporate Partnerships and Events Manager, as well as work with other office, program, and executive staff.
About the Billion Oyster Party:
The Billion Oyster Party is the ultimate oyster experience where 700+ guests interact with farmers and chefs while enjoying live music, unlimited oysters from 40 oyster farms, and delicious bites from top NYC restaurants. Students from NY Harbor School and program partners are also present to inform guests about the restoration efforts of the Billion Oyster Project. The Billion Oyster Party was recently named Village Voice’s 2016 Best Fundraiser for the Environment.
Billion Oyster Party Responsibilities:
- Liaising and managing partnerships with the 100+ partners and vendors (restaurants, oyster farmers, sponsors etc) that participate in the event.
- Assisting with the marketing and PR plan and reaching out to media to attain key placements
- Assisting with fundraising efforts- researching funding sources, confirming silent auction items, setting up the silent auction
- Assist in managing all event documentation, from budgets, receipts, contracts, contact lists, guest lists, etc
- Assist with social media outreach, including Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook
- Updating website to reflect up to date information
- Candidate must be available to work full days on May 17th, 18th, 19th for event set up, management and breakdown onsite.
- Managing a team of volunteers and BOP staff the day of the event
- Special projects as they develop, based on intern interest areas and organization needs
- College or Masters student studying: Events, Marketing, Hospitality, PR, Communications, or related fields
- Detail oriented and organized
- Comfortable speaking up about your opinions
- Able to calmly troubleshoot and think on your feet
- An amazing ability to prioritize & multi-task
- Happy to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Great communication skills, both written and verbal
The internship will be 2-3 days per week. Days negotiable based on candidate’s schedule. Candidate is welcome to work from home 1 day per week. The candidate will have to work a full week May 15th - May 19th Compensation this position is : stipend / non-monetary compensation