Garden Educator Harlem Children's Zone
- Date Posted November 29, 2016
- Location New York, NY
- Category Nonprofit
- Job type Part-Time
We are seeking three part-time Garden Educators to work with our team at selected HCZ sites primarily with elementary-aged students. This position offers an opportunity for meaningful gardening and teaching experience for the right candidate. You will be the primary point person for two HCZ garden locations. We are seeking passionate and enthusiastic lovers of growing food and environmental justice who want to share their knowledge with others. The Garden Educators will plan and teach lessons as well as maintain the gardens at their sites. A gardening curriculum will be provided along with the opportunity to design your own lessons and projects. Because this is a year-round position, classes in the winter will focus on the environment and sustainability. Your input on what you would like to grow at your site and what types of lessons you would like to teach will be welcome!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plant and maintain garden beds: weed and care for plants without the use of chemicals
- Prepare for garden activities by ensuring that you have everything you will need for class
- Plan and teach hands-on activities in the garden and classroom based on pre-planned curriculum
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualification, Skills and Knowledge Requirements
- Must be a creative self-starter who takes initiative and thinks outside the box
- Holds a bachelor’s degree in related field; at least 1 year of experience facilitating or teaching experience with youth preferred
- Gardening knowledge and skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations including youth and adults
- Knowledge of relevant topic(s) such as: urban gardening, horticulture, health and nutrition, food systems, food justice, environmental justice and food access desired
- Organizational skills strongly desired
- Ability to work independently and be flexible!
Time commitment: ~8 hours/week January through March, ~10-20 hours/week April through August, hours September onward TBD based on program needs (8 hours +). Compensation is based on experience. HCZ is an EOE.