Vegetable Production Team Members Fishkill Farms
- Date Posted December 07, 2016
- Location Hopewell Junction, NY
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Full-Time
About the Farm:Fishkill Farms is a 270 acre fruit and vegetable farm in East Fishkill, NY. Our homegrown organic and eco-friendly produce is marketed through our year-round Farm Store and Pick-Your-Own operation, 400-member CSA, and multiple Farmers' Markets. Starting with peas and strawberries and culminating with apples and pumpkins in the Fall, the farm provides family friendly outdoor pick-your-own fun for the local community, and a steady source of local foods and homegrown produce at our popular on-farm store. At our peak we host thousands of visitors a day, and hold tours, weddings, public events and festivals throughout the season. Job Description
About The Position: Our Vegetable Production Team is at the core of our farm’s diverse vegetable operation, and participates in every aspect of planting, growing, harvesting, storage and sales for more than 100 varieties of certified organic vegetables grown on 20 acres. They will work alongside a team of talented and diverse farmers in various settings, from our three greenhouses to our fields, packing shed, and farmers markets. Team members will also have the opportunity to interact directly with customers through attending and running one local farmer's market stand or CSA pickup each week. This is a fun and challenging position for those with previous farming experience seeking to take their skills to the next level at a mid-size organic farm. Our uniquely diverse range of fruits and vegetables, the opportunity to participate in various marketing activities, as well as the availability of local educational CRAFT meetings and workshops will provide ample learning opportunities for crew members.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
- Greenhouse work from seeding to transplanting, watering and maintenance.
- Direct seeding and planting in the field as well as trellising and pruning crops.
- Hoeing and mechanical cultivation, mowing, hand weeding and mulch laying.
- Harvesting, washing and packing for multiple market outlets from CSA to wholesale.
- Merchandising, display setup and communication with customers about the farm’s production practices at markets and CSA pickups.
- Working with and/or operating various farm machinery such as forklifts, vegetable washing line, farm trucks as well as tractor driven planting, cultivation and harvest implements.
- Opportunity for growth through specializing in the various aspects of our operation, including crew leadership and employee management.
- This is a seasonal, full-time position beginning in the spring (April) and ending mid-November, averaging 55 hours/week, with the possibility of year-round employment.
Proficiencies and Qualifications
- We’re looking for hardworking, detail-oriented folks with at least one season’s experience farming to join our team.
- Must be ready to take on the demanding schedule, pace, and inevitable challenges of a farming season with consistency and good humor; ability and enthusiasm for performing repetitive/challenging tasks in all weather conditions.
- Enthusiastic about organic agriculture and our farm's mission of producing wholesome food for the local community.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. safely and comfortably
- Driver’s license and clean driving record.
Compensation: Hourly rate starting at $9.75 and up, based upon experience. Potential for management roles for candidates with more experience. Housing on or off farm.Compensation this position is PAID: hourly, under $15/hr How to apply