Assistant Farmer Bed Stuy Campaign Against Hunger
- Date Posted January 27, 2017
- Location New York, NY
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Part-Time
The Bed Stuy Campaign Against Hunger (501c3), founded in 1998, works to fight food insecurity in New York City through a variety of nutrition, education, and direct service programs. BSCAH operates the largest food pantry in Brooklyn, serving up to 30,000 individuals each month, as well as four organic farms and gardens in Brooklyn and Queens.
Far Rock Farm is BSCAH's largest farm. It's a ½ acre, Certified Naturally Grown and youth-run vegetable, fruit, egg, and flower farm. The farm supplies produce to food pantries, local restaurants, and a weekly community farmstand. Each year, we grow over 15,000 lbs of food, host over 800 volunteers, and train 30 youth in sustainable agriculture.
BSCAH is seeking a seasonal Assistant Farmer for Far Rock Farm. The Assistant Farmer will support the farm manager in running and maintaining daily operations of a ½ acre vegetable production farm in Far Rockaway, Queens. This position includes working closely with youth, volunteer groups, and community members. We are looking for a dedicated, hard-working individual with prior farming experience, a passion for food justice, and educational experience.
Timeframe: The Seasonal Farmer position will begin in March and end in November of 2017.
- 2 years prior experience working on a vegetable production farm
- Commitment to, passion for, and experience in food justice and community driven work
- Experience working with youth and facilitating youth programming
- Self-motivated, excellent communicator, ability to work well alone as well as with others
- Willingness to work outdoors in all weather
- Willingness to travel to Far Rockaway
- Flexible schedule and willingness to work Saturdays consistently
- Able to lift up to 40 pounds
- Eager to learn and able to solve problems independently and as part of a team
- Familiarity with google drive - sheets, docs, and calendar
- Attention to detail, organized
- Ability to work with groups that range in age, abilities, race, gender, religion, etc.
- Familiarity with Far Rockaway community / a resident of Far Rockaway
- Valid driver’s license
- Bilingual English/Spanish
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Providing mentorship and instruction to youth ages 14-24 in all daily farm operations
- Supporting with all aspects of field production
- Direct seeding and transplanting of all crops
- Mangaging the greenhouse and caring for seedlings
- Drip irrigation & overhead watering
- Harvesting & processing all crops for sales
- Setting up, running, and breaking down the weekly market
- Pest, weed, and disease management
- Overseeing harvest standards for markets, restaurants, programs, and donations.
- Maintaining a record of all seeding and field planting, maintaining a farm harvest log, and training youth to do the same
- Submitting detailed weight and sales records on a regular basis
- Keeping high quality standards for all produce leaving the farm
- Leading workshops, volunteer groups, and regular tours
- Mulching, trellising, pruning, and tilling