Certification Coordinator Certified Naturally Grown
- Date Posted August 17, 2018
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Part-Time
More than 800 farmers and beekeepers throughout North America participate. CNG producers typically sell at farmers markets, via CSAs, and through the more advanced independent grocers that seek to support their local food systems.
CNG's participatory approach to certification is recognized by IFOAM - Organics International as an effective way to include small-scale producers in the organic movement. CNG is a private non-profit organization that is not affiliated with the USDA Organic Program. Job description We seek an enthusiastic and detail-oriented individual to support the administration of our programs and serve as an important liaison to the farmers and beekeepers who participate in our grassroots initiatives.
This is an entry-level position with ample opportunities for development and growth. It will begin as a part time position (25 - 30 hours per week), but could expand to full-time based on the candidate's interests and skills and the evolving projects of the organization. Work is to be done in our Brooklyn office, primarily during regular business hours, though there is flexibility with scheduling. Paid vacation is provided based on length of employment and number of hours worked per week.
CNG has posted a second part time position, Certification Specialist, as well as a full-time position that combines these two into one position, Certification Manager. Candidates who are available for full-time work and feel qualified for both positions are encouraged to apply for the full-time position. Candidates interested in being considered for more than one position should indicate this clearly in their cover letter. CNG will EITHER hire one full time Certification Manager, OR two part-time staff.
Position Responsibilities Include:
- Respond to inquiries from farmers and beekeepers interested in certification
- Welcome new members by phone, and help ensure they understand the core certification requirements
- Provide timely and regular reminders to all members when inspections are due, and offer assistance with arranging inspections.
- Maintain up-to-date certification records for each member
- Order fulfillment: assemble and ship educational and marketing materials
- Process incoming correspondence, certification documents, and membership dues
- Provide general office support: assemble mailings, data entry, ordering supplies
- Other job-related duties as necessary
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Self-starter and also a team player, responsive to feedback
- Strong customer service skills and interest in helping farmers
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work comfortably in an office environment
- Ability to give consistent careful attention to details, and to be organized
- College degree or equivalent experience
- Familiarity and proficiency with office equipment and software
Desirable Skills and Qualities
- Working knowledge of organic farming techniques and challenges
- Ability to write in a manner that is compelling, grammatical, clear and concise
- Demonstrated commitment to a grassroots initiative
- Experience managing or working on a farm, keeping bees, or cultivating mushrooms
- Experience with peer-review programs, in farming or other contexts
- Inclination to suggest new and improved processes or approaches to our work