Certification Specialist Certified Naturally Grown
- Date Posted August 17, 2018
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Part-Time
More than 800 farmers and beekeepers throughout North America participate. CNG producers typically sell at farmers markets, via CSAs, and through the more advanced independent grocers that seek to support their local food systems.
CNG's participatory approach to certification is recognized by IFOAM - Organics International as an effective way to include small-scale producers in the organic movement. CNG is a private non-profit organization that is not affiliated with the USDA Organic Program. Job description Farmers appreciate Certified Naturally Grown as a way to convey their farming practices and their commitment to the highest ideals of the organic movement. The certification specialist is our first point of contact with applicants. She or he reviews their applications to assess whether the producer's practices are aligned with CNG standards for certification, and follows up with the applicant to obtain further information or advise on any corrective actions needed prior to certification.
This is a part time position (8-15 hours per week)with ample opportunities for development and growth. Work is to likely to be done in our Brooklyn office (though applications from seasoned candidates seeking to work remotely will be considered). There is flexibility with scheduling. Paid vacation is provided based on length of employment and number of hours worked per week.
CNG has posted a second part time position, Certification Coordinator, as well as a full-time position that combines these two into one position, Certification Manager. Candidates who are available for full-time work and feel qualified for both positions are encouraged to apply for the full-time position. Candidates interested in being considered for more than one position should indicate this clearly in their cover letter. CNG will EITHER hire one full time Certification Manager, OR two part-time staff.
Position Responsibilities Include:
- Review applications for CNG certification (training will be provided)
- Respond to producers' inquiries about certification standards and allowed/prohibited substances (training will be provided)
- Other job-related duties as necessary
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of organic vegetable farming practices
- Self-starter and also a team player, responsive to feedback
- Strong customer service skills and interest in helping farmers
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work comfortably in an office environment
- Ability to give consistent careful attention to details, and to be organized
- College degree or equivalent experience
- Familiarity and proficiency with office equipment and software
Desirable Skills and Qualities
- Experience working on a farm
- Knowledge of livestock production, beekeeping, aquaponics and mushroom cultivation
- Ability to write in a manner that is compelling, grammatical, clear and concise
- Experience with strategic communications
- Experience offering educational programs to farmers or others
- Demonstrated commitment to a grassroots initiative
- Experience with peer-review programs, in farming or other contexts
- Inclination to suggest new and improved processes or approaches to our work