Livestock Steward-seasonal full-time The Trustees of Reservations
- Date Posted July 07, 2017
- Location Sharon, MA
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Summer Job
About The Trustees of Reservations
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 26,000+ acres on 116 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 50,000 members.
Our seasonal staff play an integral role in ensuring that our visitors enjoy our extraordinary places. With the change to warmer temperatures, we experience an influx of visitors of all ages and backgrounds who want to explore and be inspired by our properties. Sandy beaches, wooded trails, cultural gardens, historic homes, community supported agriculture—there are many ways for visitors to discover and explore The Trustees, and just as many opportunities for seasonal employees to make each visitor’s experience special.Job Description
Our seasonal staff plays an integral role in ensuring that our visitors enjoy our extraordinary places. With the change to warmer temperatures, we experience an influx of visitors of all ages and backgrounds who want to explore and be inspired by our properties. Sandy beaches, wooded trails, cultural gardens, historic homes, community supported agriculture—there are many ways for visitors to discover and explore The Trustees, and just as many opportunities for seasonal employees to make each visitor’s experience special.
The Livestock Steward provides assistance and support for the start-up and ongoing management of the multi-site, diversified livestock operation based out of Moose Hill Farm. This position requires building and maintaining farm infrastructure and facilities, operating equipment, and general care and management of livestock at all working Trustees locations. Assistance with daily chores including but not limited to cattle rotations, pig and chicken feeding, egg collection, watering, fencing, tree work and data collection for pasture improvement and animal health will be required.
The Livestock Steward reports to the Livestock Program Manager and works closely with other livestock program and farm staff.
This is a full time position through the fall with hours reducing to part-time in the winter.
- Assist with and conduct daily animal rotations, feeding and general care at all working locations.
- Assist in building and improving infrastructure and resources at all farm properties.
- Assist with management of the cattle, swine and chicken grazing infrastructure including pastures, woods, shelters, water systems, travel lanes, and fences.
- Clean and maintain all livestock program buildings, equipment and facilities.
- Operate farm machinery and equipment responsibly and safely.
- Report animal health issues and assist in administering treatment programs.
- Assist in identifying and assessing grazing lands and logistic efficiencies in the operation.
- Provide assistance with hay production, as needed.
- Safely transport equipment, livestock, and meat, as needed.
- Assist in the cleaning (eggs), inventory, storage, and sale of all meat and animal products.
- Assist in collecting basic data for pasture conditions, ecological metrics, and sustainability criteria.
- Work and assist in variable locations with other Trustees staff on livestock and farm projects.
- Travel frequently to address issues at the seasonal working landscapes.
- Interact with volunteers and the general public, and participate in public programs, when necessary.
- Follow policies and best management practices for humane and healthy treatment of animals at The Trustees.
- Understand and support the Trustees organizational policies strategic goals.
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
Education and Experience:
Strong interest in sustainable livestock management and working landscapes.
Experience with carpentry, construction, equipment operation, or related trade.
Ability to operate farm equipment.
The ability to meet the physical requirements of the position, including lifting heavy objects, working outside in all variety of weather and conditions, and working around animals.
Proven interpersonal skills with the strong ability to work with a team of peers.
A positive attitude, willingness to be flexible and a commitment to achieving the goals of Moose Hill Farm is essential.
Valid driver’s license required for driving Trustees vehicles; satisfactory driver’s record check required.
Satisfactory background check required
Reports to Livestock Manager and will works closely with other Trustees farm staff and seasonal employees.
Variable outdoor weather conditions and work with farm animals. Ability to lift 50 pounds required.
The Trustees offers competitive compensation and the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors, who love the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
We kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Trustees of Reservations aims to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts, who are at the core of our mission.Compensation this position is PAID: hourly, varies DOE, $11.00 - $20.00 How to apply