Market Bookkeeper Troy Waterfront Farmers Market
- Date Posted July 12, 2017
- Location Troy, NY
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job Type Part-Time
Every Saturday, more than 80+ food growers, bakers, chefs and artisans gather to offer the Capital Region's freshest and finest! At the Troy Waterfront Farmers Market (TWFM), you buy directly from the producer - the person who grew it or made it and can tell you how to best cook, use and enjoy it. Plus, your dollars contribute directly to the local economy and assure the future of a healthy regional food system.
But we're more than a farmers' market - for more than 18 years, we've provided a community gathering place with live music, great food, family activities and lots of learning opportunities! Each Saturday, thousands of savvy shoppers from across the Capital Region come to shop, dine, relax and visit with family and friends. Won't you join us? Job Description The Troy Waterfront Farmers Market is seeking a passionate person interested in supporting local farms and food as our Market Bookkeeper! The position is to collect data and record accounting transactions in the Markets Financial Accounting System. The Market Bookkeeper will be expected to work closely with the Market Manager and the Board Treasurer to ensure all bookkeeping work is handled accurately. This position requires the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of people, including: customers, vendors, volunteers, landlords, Board members, staff and interns.
The Market Bookkeeper must be available during Saturday market days for a few hours, year-round and be willing and able to work outside in all weather conditions. You will have access to our Downtown Troy office location with flexible work-from-home arrangements, for those interested, to complete the necessary work. The position requires the ability to work independently as well as interdependently with the team of volunteers, interns, board members and staff members.
The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic advocate of the local food movement and agricultural community / economy. The Market Bookkeeper must be reliable, self-motivated and have good communication, project management and customer service skills.
Specific Job Duties:
- Ability to complete essential job duties within 10-15 hours per week
- Attend market dates
- Collect and record tokens received by vendors
- Collect and record billing payments from vendors
- General collaboration between vendors and market staff
- Accounts Receivable (billing and receipts)
- Accounts Payable (pay bills received by the Market)
- Market Token Management (maintain various spreadsheets for token activity including Fresh Connect and Health Bucks coupons)
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above and below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- 2-3 years related experience and/or training in a related organization or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Commitment to local food, nutrition, health and wellness.
- Demonstrated skills in bookkeeping.
- Associate Degree, High School Diploma or Equivalent; some college coursework and/or college degree preferred.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to multi-task and be well-organized; able to manage priorities and workflow.
- Ability to work every Saturday year-round (with limited exception)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 30 pounds independently on an occasional to frequent basis.
- Ability to spend up to 100% of work time standing or moving about all areas within the work environment, which is both indoors and outdoors. Physical activities include but are not limited to bending, stooping, lifting, carrying, walking and/or reaching on a frequent basis.