Line Cook - Specialty Salad Maker Woodstock Farmers' Market
- Date Posted July 18, 2017
- Location Woodstock, VT
- Category Culinary
- Job Type Full-Time
The Woodstock Farmers Market is a bustling year round fresh market of fantastic food which generates over $8 million in annual sales. We are a classic “small giant”: while our footprint is modest, we have created a dynamic fresh foods market with many facets: from our varied national and regional specialty products and our commitment to local produce and meats to our prepared foods kitchen and catering department to our innovative open book finance system and our service crazy staff.
We are a member of the Good Food Mercantile and a Good Food Retail Collaborative Member (one of only 21 retailers around the country), the Specialty Food Association (and Patrick our Chairman of Fun sits on the SFA Retail Council), the Vermont Fresh Network, Woodstock Chamber of Commerce, Vermont Cheese Council and sundry other organizations.Job Description
Intro: The Prepared Foods Department is the engine of the WFM; it is one of the top three departments behind Produce and Grocery. The department prepares, breakfast and lunch sandwiches, cold salads, daily lunch and dinner hot entrees and sides, catering and prepackaged frozen and refrigerated foods. The department places a critical role by utilizing transferred products from the produce and meat and fish departments. Our zero waste policy allows the retail store to always display the best product and the kitchen to work with quality albeit cosmetically challenged food. The every changing variety and quantity of food transfers to the Prep Food Department results in menu variety and recipe creativity.
Our mission is to prepare delicious, beautiful food utilizing as many local products as possible and incorporating as many products transferred to the kitchen from other departments as possible. We make bountiful WFM sandwiches, always striving for 100% accuracy and on time delivery, always putting the guests needs first but working in tandem and partnership with the deli service staff.
Our line cooks are full and part time non-supervisory positions within the kitchen and may have varying levels of experience. A great line cook is invaluable: they are responsible for a myriad of tasks in the kitchen. Depending on the experience level, our prep cooks perform many of the following: sandwich station prep and sandwich making, entrée and hot case prep; deli salad creation from recipes, non-complex catering prep and making WFM signature sauces, dips and other take away refrigerated products. Typical everyday duties of a salad maker include Woodstock Farmers Market signature salads which include: Bow Thai, Kale Salad, Perfect Protein Salad, Broccoli Cashew Salad, and Curry Chicken Salad. These plus another 8-10 salads make up our amazing salad case.
- Being Calm Under Pressure: This job is very stressful at times with many decisions to be made is short order. It takes a person with calm inner-working to be successful. He/she must be able to detach from the emotional nature of decision making and focus solely on the issue—making great food fast and providing staff and our guests great service.
- Outstanding Judgment and Decision-Making: Requires great judgment of quality Market food and the making that judgment quickly and accurately.
- Strong Physical Attributes: Must be in outstanding physical condition. This job can require one to be on your feet for 8 hours a day. Job requires heavy lifting of 50 lbs or more and strong dexterity of arms and hands.
- Happiness and Steady Demeanor: Must understand choosing a great attitude everyday despite life’s difficulties. It’s an absolute requirement for this position. He/she must possess a steady and consistent demeanor every day and must welcome change and embrace its constant presence.
- Team Play: Integrating with Deli Service—Must understand the total Market picture: that service is what we do and without great service we are nothing. With this in mind, he/she must work directly in step and harmony with what the guest desires and directly with the Deli staff and supervisor.
- Several years in a busy commercial kitchen is required.
- Must be able to take direction easily plus read and execute recipes.
- He/She must not be bothered by working in a very busy, tight work space and must be wired to execute outstanding quality Market food quickly.
- Must have good knife skills, dexterity, speed and the ability to move efficiently in a crowded space.
- Great merchandising and food presentation are critical. Candidate must show creativity in food presentation and key systems ideas.
High Energy/Low Workplace Drama: We only hire individuals who can check their personal drama at the door and replace everything with high energy and great service to both our guests and to each other.
Time Commitment: Full time is 40 hours. At least one weekend day is required. Holidays and summer time are our busiest times and require planning and commitment.
Compensation: $13-15/hr +/-, depending on experience. Benefits include, a Market lunch every day, Simple IRA, Health insurance after vesting period, 20% staff discount and others.Compensation this position is PAID: hourly, varies DOE, $13.00 - $15.00 How to apply