Education Manager - Martha's Vineyard The Trustees of Reservations
- Date Posted October 23, 2017
- Location Edgartown, MA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
About The Trustees of Reservations
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 26,000+ acres on 116 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 50,000 members.Job Description
The Education Manager (EM) is responsible for developing and managing The FARM Institute’s farm camp, enrolling 60-100 children per week for 8-10 weeks with participant numbers, season length and revenue expected to grow in subsequent years. The EM position manages the marketing, enrollment, curriculum, budget, and camper/parent relations with support from the Engagement Site Manager. The EM handles camp licensure, risk management, and well being of all campers while camp is in session and recruits, hires, trains and manages all camp counselors to the highest standards.
The Education Manager position at The FARM Institute (TFI) is responsible for leading and implementing educational programming at TFI which includes school field trips, summer camp, and a seasonal residential program. This position requires an innovative approach to developing education initiatives with emphasis given to the camp program to ensure it reaches its fullest potential engaging campers and families during the summer as well as vacation weeks.
The EM reports to The FARM Institute Engagement Site Manager and must work closely with all other employees of the farm staff and The Trustees. The position’s work schedule is variable, will include work on some weekends and holidays. The schedule is based on an average 5 day work week however it is expected that hours will be higher when camp is in session.
- Direct the development and execution of FARM Camp as well as growth in subsequent years
- Recruit, hire, and train the best counselors possible with support from other farm staff
- Employ best-practices and safety protocols in the development and execution of camp
- Work actively with the Marketing staff to get camp registration software up and running, a FARM camp web page built, and printed brochures effectively distributed
- Ensure accurate record keeping that meets management goals and camp licensure regulations
- Manage all administrative aspects to the camp including parent inquiries, health form collection, and camp licensure.
- Manage all aspects of school field trips and seasonal residential program which includes curriculum development, teaching programs, and building relationships with teachers and schools to grow the program.
- Support the farm’s efforts to reduce its carbon footprint by minimizing energy consumption wherever feasible.
- Work closely with our Engagement Site Manager and Education Garden Manager to provide support for other farm programs, events, and tours when camp is not in session. These include but are not limited to vacation week programs, family programs, and seasonal events.
- Collaborate/network with other camps and farm camps associated with The Trustees and beyond to share best practices.
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent years of experience
- 3 or more years of professional experience in outdoor, farm-based, or adventure education.
- Experience teaching place-based, environmental education, especially in a farm environment.
- Experience in program marketing, registration, staffing and budgeting.
- Must have a thorough understanding of regulatory requirements for a Massachusetts summer camp, including an understanding of the specifics of running a camp on a farm.
- Must have managerial experience, having directly managed staff including hiring, performance management, and evaluation.
The ability to develop experiential, inquiry-driven curriculum that draws on the unique identity of the place and the important mission of the organization.
The physical and mental wherewithal to teach outdoors, sometimes under difficult circumstances.
Must be familiar with farm animals and comfortable working with animals.
The EM must possess and display an appreciation for the rich agricultural history of The FARM Institute.
A positive attitude, team-oriented, flexible approach and a commitment to achieving the goals of The FARM Institute and The Trustees are a key part of the job.
The following certifications are desired but not required:
American Red Cross CPR Certificate for the Professional Rescuer, or equivalent
American Red Cross Standard First Aid Certificate, or equivalent
Valid driver’s license required for driving TTOR vehicles.
Pass of the CORI and SORI check required
Flexibility to work nights and weekends is required; access to a car is necessary.
The Education Manager reports to The FARM Institute Engagement Site Manager and will manage a team of seasonal camp counselors.
Must be willing to work outside during all weather conditions
Must pass a CORI/SORI check
Ability to lift 40 lbs.
The Trustees offers competitive compensation and the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors, who love the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees of Reservations aim to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.
We kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.Compensation this position is PAID: salaried, less than 50k How to apply