Director of Development Georgia Organics
- Date Posted November 17, 2017
- Location Atlanta, GA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
Georgia Organics is a dynamic and team-driven nonprofit connecting organic food from Georgia farms to Georgia families. Since 1997, the organization has served as the statewide leader in fostering organic farming, farm to school and community food systems. The next five years present a tremendous opportunity for Georgia Organics to capitalize on surging interest in the good food movement and expand resource development to further its impact.
Georgia Organics has three primary goals to:
- Increase the number of organic and sustainable farmers in Georgia
- Increase the number of children participating in farm to school programs
- Increase the number of Georgians eating local, organic food
The Director of Development is responsible for leading, planning, and accelerating fund development while fostering a culture of philanthropy within the organization. The Director of Development manages a full-time development coordinator and works directly with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to meet strategic fundraising and organizational growth objectives.
- Develop and execute Georgia Organics annual fundraising plan and create monthly fundraising reports that track progress towards goals.
- Advance major donor strategies and giving to elevate the organization’s capacity.
- Identify, cultivate and manage relationships with current and prospective donors that build organizational loyalty and involvement.
- Develop strategies with the Executive Director and the Georgia Organics team to expand and diversify funding sources.
- Coordinate grant-writing (research, case statements, proposal writing, reporting) projects to government, foundation and corporate funders.
- Work with the board of directors to develop fundraising skills and integrate in development strategies.
- Work with the Development Committee to execute annual plan and strategies and organize quarterly meetings and ongoing communication with committee members.
- Leverage fundraising database (eTapestry) to cultivate and retain members and donors through a streamlined system of record keeping, tracking and reporting.
- Plan, implement and coordinate fundraising special events and event sponsorships.
- Oversee the development of collateral fundraising materials and execution of direct mail and online appeal campaigns.
- Leverage emerging technologies to organize campaigns and raise funds online.
- Advance planned giving within overall fundraising plans and strategies.
- Foster a strong development culture that engages all staff in fundraising.
Select performance measures:
- Meeting strategic and budgetary fundraising goals for a $2 million budget.
- Growth and retention in members, sustaining members and major donors.
- Growth in new private funding sources, including cultivation of Georgia’s philanthropic community and national funders.
- Success of special events in both fundraising and attendance.
- Success in online and direct mail appeal campaigns.
- Involvement of board, staff and volunteers in meeting funding goals.
Preparation and Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree.
- Five or more years of experience in nonprofit development, successful fundraising and strong understanding of fundraising principles and practices
- Demonstrated leadership in organizational, managerial and communication skills.
- High level of interpersonal skills and ability to handle situations with poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Proven ability to organize and prioritize work in a deadline-driven environment and effectively work within a team environment.
- Proficiency working with MS Office and donor databases; experience with eTapestry or Raiser’s Edge a plus.
- Enthusiastic, tenacious, goal-oriented and committed to excellence.
- Ability to travel throughout the state and occasionally work evening and weekends.
- Flexibility, a sense of humor, and a commitment to the mission of Georgia Organics.