Office Manager Berkshire Agricultural Ventures
- Date Posted December 19, 2017
- Location Great Barrington, MA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
Having launched in May 2017 as an independent nonprofit organization, Berkshire Agricultural Ventures envisions a local and regional food economy where farms and food businesses are viable and thrive, and all residents have access to fresh and healthy local food. Our mission is to provide food and farm entrepreneurs with the tools they need to create, innovate and grow their businesses, and secure key resources to help them bring more healthy food from farm to table.
We work to achieve this mission from the ground up by providing technical assistance and financing to farms and food businesses that enable them to grow and/or scale up. We also strategically identify and support key regional infrastructure projects such as food distribution hubs and processing facilities that are integral to a resilient food economy.
Since we received our IRS status, BAV has provided low-interest loans and matching grants, as well as business development assistance to 11 farms and food businesses. With favorable press over the past six months, stable funding for the first year, and greater awareness of our work, we have an exciting growth trajectory ahead of us.
Prior to becoming an independent nonprofit in May 2017, BAV was existed as a program for five years, first with The Carrot Project and later with Berkshire Grown. Now as its own nonprofit entity, it has a governing board of five volunteers, a full-time executive director, a part-time technical assistance coordinator, and a part-time bookkeeper.Job Description
Reporting to the executive director, the Office Manager will support all aspects of BAV’s work including but not limited to: administrative support to the executive director, office management assistance, outreach and communications, fundraising and donor cultivation and special event planning.
This is a new position and it will evolve in responsibilities as the organization itself evolves. The successful candidate will be a creative generalist with superb interpersonal skills who is highly organized, adaptable, strategic and detail oriented. Since the office is small, the Office Manager will be a good humored team player who can multi-task with grace and takes enjoyment from learning new skills. This position is a good fit for an energetic self-starter who is interested in helping a start-up organization to grow. The work will focus on three essential areas: general office support; communications management and fundraising support.
- Provides wide range of office administration and support to the executive director.
- Serves as principal administrative contact and liaison with BAV constituents, partner organizations, and other external contacts.
- Serves as liaison to farm businesses and to community organizational partners to track progress of grants, technical assistance and loans.
- Establishes office procedures, policies and operations and interprets and communicates policies and processes.
- Provides a wide range of support including: composing and editing letters, and assisting in the development of memoranda, reports, presentations, and submission of grant proposals.
- Uses multiple technical applications including word processing, website and database management, spreadsheets, presentation software, electronic calendar, email, and others as appropriate.
- Coordinates events, including fundraising events, speakers and workshops.
- Sets up meetings, distributes agendas and reports, takes minutes, secures space, provides refreshments, and other tasks as needed.
- Participates in meetings upon request of the executive director
- Answers phone, mail and e-mail messages.
- Other related office management duties as assigned.
- Updates website and assists with development of content and/or coordinates content provided by others. Actively seeks opportunities to maximize web hits.
- Oversees production and distribution of a bimonthly e-newsletter including collecting and writing stories, building photo files and maintaining subscriber list.
- Posts weekly material on Facebook and cross promotes with Facebook groups.
- Drafts press releases and maintains media contact list.
Support for Fundraising
- Oversees database of donors, adding names and contact information, updating as appropriate, generating gift reports.
- Organizes year-end and mid-year appeal: prints letters, lists and secures board signatures.
- Tracks gifts and initiates thank you letters.
- Maintains donor files including copies of checks, correspondence and acknowledgements.
- Provides support for events including ticket sales, set up/clean up, and tracking all expenses, revenue, sponsorships and acknowledgements.
- Tracks grant deadlines and prepares reports, creating calendars and help in preparing final documents, etc.
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- A minimum of five years of nonprofit office experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Donor database management and grantswriting
- Experience writing for general audiences and for the media preferred
- Demonstrated experience managing (and comfort in learning new) digital and social platforms and donor database software, websites, email marketing software, social media and other web environments
- Familiarity with WordPress, DonorPerfect, Constant Contact, social media and graphic design and layout software such as Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign), among others.
- Excellent problem-solving, project management and organizational skills
- Ability to work successfully as part of a team, as well as assume independent responsibilities
- Excellent judgment, ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously
- Commitment to confidentiality, high standards and professional development
- Balance of detail orientation and entrepreneurial drive
- Team player
- Familiarity with Berkshire food and agricultural sector and economy would be ideal
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Benefits include: vacation, sick leave and holidays. Contribution to health insurance may be negotiable.Compensation this position is PAID: salaried, less than 50k How to apply