Seasonal Farm Coord- Teaching Garden GrowNYC- Governors Island
- Date Posted January 29, 2018
- Location New York, NY
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Other
The Governors Island Teaching Garden is a 21,000-square foot urban farm that aims to engage, excite, and educate New York City public school students and the public in all aspects of urban farming, environmental sustainability, green infrastructure, and healthy eating. Through developmentally appropriate, experiential and educational programming, students and the public participate in activities such as planting, watering, weeding, mulching, harvesting, and cooking.Job description
Position Description: GrowNYC is seeking an enthusiastic individual with strong experience in sustainable vegetable and herb production to maintain a highly visible and innovative urban educational farm on Governors Island. Under the supervision of the Program Manager within GrowNYC’s Greening Program, the Farm Coordinator will be responsible for maintaining the Governors Island Teaching Garden and helping to deliver the Teaching Garden’s school and public programming. Applicants should have experience in urban agriculture and sustainability, environmental education, and be comfortable working outdoors in all conditions and with people of all ages and abilities. The successful candidate will be a capable self-starter, willing and excited to grow existing initiatives, develop new ideas, and expand the Teaching Garden’s offerings.
PRIMARY DUTIES (70% of time):
- Perform all daily farm-related tasks including planting, pruning, weeding, mulching, trellising, harvesting, irrigating, and general maintenance.
- Lead the development and implementation of the 2018 crop plan.
- Track farm operations and data, including planting schedule, germination rate, plant growth, harvest log, compost production, and soil nutrient management.
- Lead regular hands-on garden-based lessons for visiting K-12 NYC public school students, campers, and senior citizens.
- Assist with training and supervising Garden Educators for weekly programing and curriculum implementation
- Coordinate daily site prep each morning and site clean-up/breakdown each afternoon
- Assist with management and training of individual garden volunteers, and co-lead weekly corporate volunteer events in the Teaching Garden, (activities include bed building, watering, weeding, and painting).
SECONDARY DUTIES (30% of time):
- Develop and implement creative grade-level lesson plans, activities, and recipes for school field trips.
- Coordinate produce sales at the on-site farm stand and with restaurant accounts
- Restock farm materials and supplies and track expenses
- Maintain a small aquaponics system, (training provided)
- Assist with public outreach through weekly social media updates
- Meet regularly with Greening Director and staff
- Partner with other GrowNYC educational initiatives on programming and outreach
- Small farm production experience, preferably at an organic or chemical free vegetable farm
- Experience teaching youth and/or adults in a farm or garden setting.
- Interest and familiarity with issues relating to sustainable agriculture, local food, and environmental education
- Team player who can also self-motivate and work independently
- Strong organizational and written/verbal communication skills.
- Experience supervising staff and/or volunteers and working with diverse communities.
- Willingness to work outdoors in extreme temperatures
- Ability to work weekends on an occasional basis
- Ability to commit for the duration of the 2018 season (March-November) required
- Experience with aquaponics (preferred)
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods, and carry bulky and heavy items
- Valid New York State Driver's License (preferred)
Position Details: This is a seasonal position (March 8th through November 16th). Hours may vary slightly, but in general will be Monday to Friday, 35 hours a week. Some weekend work may be required. Compensation is $18/hr and includes only statutory benefits.Compensation this position is : hourly, $15/hr + Application instructions