Caretaker Lilac Ridge
- Date Posted February 22, 2018
- Location Burlington, VT
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Full-Time
Location: Charlotte, VT
The Caretaker position is year-round, full-time position to oversee two private properties south of Burlington, Vermont. The owners live on a primary property and oversee daily activities. The second property includes 22- acres on the waterfront and is used primarily as a summer residence, though it does require year-round attention and maintenance.
The Caretaker will be responsible for the overall maintenance and caretaking of the property animals (daily care of seven horses, two dogs, and a dozen chickens), vegetable garden, flower gardens, trail systems, and building structures. Tasks will change depending on the season and will include but not be limited to landscaping, beekeeping, gardening, and personal assistance for the owners. Our ideal candidate thrives in an outdoor workplace, is flexible and a quick learner, a clear communicator, a good team player, loves animals, and has experience in gardening and landscaping.
- Manage and care for horses, chickens and domestic animals on primary property.
- Daily care of the horses, including feeding, grooming, and manure removal.
- Coordination of vet and farrier appointments.
- Ordering and maintaining grain stores and general supplies for the animals and barn.
- Care and exercise of dogs when owners are out of town.
- Gardening and landscaping.
- Care for and maintenance of flower and vegetable gardens on both properties.
- Maintenance and care of trail system.
- Managing, coordinating and participating in the lawn maintenance with landscaping company.
- Overall management of buildings and grounds on both properties.
- Year-round maintenance of both properties.
- Management and maintenance of buildings and structures on each property, including repairs.
- Management of contractors as it relates to building and grounds maintenance and services (plumbers, electricians etc.)
- Constant cleaning of all aspects of the barn and stable area.
- Management and maintenance of all property vehicles.
- Making sure all vehicles are ready to use and safe to operate, including managing the maintenance schedule (oil changes, etc)
- Running errands, shopping, and other personal assistant tasks, as needed
- Additional tasks may be assigned, as needed
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic about animal care
- Flexible with daily schedules – each day in this position will be different! · Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Experience working with horses preferred
- 1 year of experience in caretaking of a property preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a positive attitude
- Maintains a positive attitude and respect for all property residents and contractors
- Self-starter who is able to work independently, and solve problems creatively
- Reliable, on-time, proactive, prepared
- Quick to answer their phone and respond to requests quickly
- Open to learning new skills and gardening techniques
- Willingness to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Flexible with proven success in dynamic and collaborative work environment
- Valid drivers’ license and clean driving record (ability to drive a manual vehicle preferred)
- Must be willing to live on the property; housing is provided
- Salary will be commensurate with experience.
- On-site housing is provided.
- Enrollment in continuing education courses and workshops consistent with job responsibilities.
Candidates should send a cover letter illustrating experience, resume, available start date, contact information, salary requirements, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: a thorough background check will be done for all serious candidates. Qualified candidates will be contacted directly. No phone calls please. Compensation this position is PAID: salaried, varies DOE, $34,000.00 - $37,000.00 How to apply