- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
Kitchen Manager Woodbelly Pizza
- Date Posted March 01, 2018
- Location Montpelier, VT
- Category Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
Woodbelly Pizza is a worker-owned, farm-to-table catering cooperative that started as an outlet for CSA produce from a small farm in Northern VT. Now based in Montpelier, we cater weddings, parties and events around the state, vend at festivals and local farmers markets, in addition to producing frozen, prepared soup for a distribution company hub in Berlin. We take pride in our ingredients, sourcing freshly milled heirloom organic wheat from VT and Quebec, as well as organic vegetables and meats from partner farms in Central and Northern VT.
Working with us is a commitment to moving quickly and working hard, and it is also a chance to travel around Vermont and create delicious food. We are looking for experienced cooks as well as folks that want to build our team, drive big trucks with trailers, and reach for the next level. Those that are interested in pursuing a potential long term commitment and member-ownership are preferred.Job description
The position of Kitchen Manager is filled by an experienced cook who has strong prep skills, good written and verbal communication and leadership skills and a desire to improve our menu and systems.
The Kitchen Manager’s responsibilities include: sourcing from local farms; managing food and labor cost; managing inventory; and developing menus that revolve around seasonal, local ingredients cooked in our wood-fired ovens and grills. They place orders from multiple farms and distributors sometimes two or more weeks in advance. They have an intuitive sense for time and temperature (in addition to using a timer and a thermometer).
While working alongside staff, the Kitchen Manager is expected to be an exemplary member of the crew and participate in training new staff. Additionally, the Kitchen Manager will develop familiarity with our invoicing and order management system(s) and have the ability to work remotely using a cell phone and a computer.
The Kitchen Manager is expected to evaluate daily systems and use their best judgement to handle unforeseen problems. They are organized and have a strong attention to detail. Pay is hourly and starts at $14/hr. Worker-owners have the opportunity to earn a higher wage and share in Woodbelly profits at the end of the fiscal year. If not an owner, the Kitchen Manager should be interested in ownership in the worker cooperative.The Kitchen Manager reports directly to the Kitchen Supervisor and their performance is evaluated by the management team. Annual bonus for performance.
Although the Kitchen Manager is in a leadership role, this position is not responsible for hiring and terminating employees. Rather, the Kitchen Manager is the kitchen team leader; they are expected to work alongside other staff as an equal, requesting help and rendering the same.
- Inventory & Ordering
- Receiving deliveries (or coordinating with others if not available)
- Preparation of pizza toppings, appetizers, entrees and desserts
- Maintaining organized notes and prep plans for events with the event leads
- Coordinating weekly kitchen clean-up
- Overseeing Soup Production for Farmers To You
- Participation in weekly kitchen meeting
- Tracking quantities & controlling food costs in Airtable database
- Collaborating on Menu Development
- Assisting HR and Kitchen Supervisor with hiring and scheduling kitchen staff
- Continually monitoring the quality of the work done in the kitchen by staying up to date on feedback from events/clients/staff
- Self & peer evaluations