Livestock Manager The Trustees +1 more
- Date Posted April 26, 2018
- Location Edgartown, MA
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Full-Time
About The Trustees of Reservations
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 26,000+ acres on 116 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 50,000 members.Job Description
About The Trustees Farms:
The Trustees farms have rich history in New England agricultural communities, from the oldest working dairy to Amelia Peabody’s legendary farm, we cultivate deep roots across the commonwealth. Rolling grasslands, grazing livestock, stone walls, and historic farm buildings are part of our pastoral landscape. Today, our farms still retain their bucolic quality and have become well known for their CSA (community supported agriculture) programs and livestock operations. As part of a multifaceted approach to farm management, there are many opportunities for best and innovative practices that enhance the agricultural, ecological and cultural resources that make Trustees farms wonderful.
The Livestock Manager will oversee the day to day management of the The Farm Institute (TFI) livestock operation, collaborate on livestock engagement programming and coordinate the sale and distribution of meat and farm products. This position will be primarily responsible for care and management of the cattle and sheep herds, hogs, poultry and barnyard animals. This may specifically include the oversight of sheep and cattle breeding, managing a rotational grazing program, pasture management, finishing feeder pigs, and managing broilers, turkey and laying hens. The position will also be responsible for the management of approximately 150 acres of pasture in partnership with the Trustees Agriculture and Ecology programs. Decisions regarding production levels, breeding schedules, rotational management practices, biosecurity measures and management policies will be made in consultation with the General Manager and the Livestock Program Manager. Additionally, this position will require significant collaboration and communication with the General Manager as well as farm engagement, education and stewardship staff. The position will be a full-time year-round salaried position with a variable seasonal work schedule.
- On-site Manager for TFI livestock and pasture operations, including the oversight of meat and farm products and participate in public engagement opportunities associated with the animals
- Position will be expected to meet production and income goals set by past years successes and resource capacity.
- Continue to manage and improve the rotational grazing program on the farm as well as improve habitats for all animals in line with the greater animal welfare & conservation agriculture goals of the Trustees.
- Manage all health & dietary needs for livestock in collaboration with the Livestock Program Manager. This will include, but is not limited to treatment, vaccinations, grain/hay/forage inventory management, pasture & infrastructure management, record keeping, castrations, breeding, and live animal sale and purchases.
- Assist in developing working strategies to improve TFI’s model of livestock production and marketing in conjunction with the overall livestock management goals of the Trustees.
- Oversee safe and lawful meat production processes, which will include the transport of live animals and processed products.
- In collaboration with other Trustees staff, inventory and market farm products on farm, and through Trustees outlets, with CSA and retail models, and through third party outlets.
- Safely operate, maintain and transport equipment and machinery.
- Maintenance of equipment, buildings and other infrastructure deemed necessary for animal production. Direct projects including tractor maintenance, fencing, carpentry and other capital projects.
- Work effectively and cooperatively with the TFI General Manager and other Trustees staff.
- Participate in the organization’s focus on sustainable operations, promote membership, and support fund raising efforts of other staff.
- Understand and exemplify the strategic goals of the organization as outlined in the refreshed Strategic plan.
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
- A Farm Production degree from an Agricultural accredited college preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years professional experience with animal husbandry and/or livestock management.
- Experience is absolutely necessary, and a substitution of a college degree will be considered with appropriate related experience in the field of animal production agriculture.
- Experience in hauling agricultural equipment and animals will be required.
- Ability to drive and perform daily maintenance on farm equipment, especially tractors and hay equipment.
- Knowledge and comfort with all aspects of hay production and pasture management.
- The ability to meet the physical requirements of the position, including lifting heavy objects, working outside in all variety of weather and conditions, and working around animals.
- Proven interpersonal skills with the strong ability to work with a team of peers.
- Must be willing to help with and promote public programming in the barnyard, making for an interesting and SAFEexperience.
- This position may require working weekends with compensatory time off during the week.
- Valid driver’s license required for driving Trustees vehicles; satisfactory driver’s record check required.
- Massachusetts DOT Medical Card required.
- Satisfactory CORI check required.
- Satisfactory rental history/references required for on-site housing.
Benefits and Salary:
The Trustees offers competitive compensation, and the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees aim to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.
Compensation this position is PAID: salaried, 50k to 100k How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineJune 30, 2018