Boston Public Market Asst. Retail The Trustees of Reservations
- Date Posted July 13, 2018
- Location Boston, MA
- Category Nonprofit
- Job Type Part-Time
About The Trustees of Reservations
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 26,000+ acres on 116 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 50,000 members.Job Description
Summary of Position:
The Assistant Retail Manager assists and supports the Retail Manager in overseeing the Appleton Farms booth at the Boston Public Market, and is responsible for weekly sales and membership goals in support of the operation. The ideal candidate has worked in a small or start-up business, has outstanding customer service experience and exceptional interpersonal skills. Appleton Farms at BPM is the premier outlet for Massachusetts artisanal cheese; the candidate must have a demonstrated passion for local food, seasonal cooking, and artisanal cheeses. The position requires a flexible schedule, with evening and weekend hours.
- Works between 24-26 hours/per week in a customer-facing role in the shop.
- Assists in scheduling and training hourly staff, volunteer staff and potential interns for AF at BPM, in when the Retail Manage is not available.
- Works with Retail Manager to set and meet weekly sales, budgetary and membership goals for the whole AF at BPM team.
- Assists in coordinating routine sampling visits by artisan cheesemakers and farmers with the Massachusetts Cheese Guild.
- Assists in managing weekly product inventory for Appleton Farms booth and relationships with over 20 independent farmers and artisans, and wholesale buyers.
- Understands the point of sale system, and maintains software updates, upgrades and all need of POS and IT system in collaboration with IT Department when necessary.
- Maintains high standards of sanitation, food safety and a clean and safe work environment.
- Ensures equipment is maintained and used properly and informs Retail Manager and GM when repairs or maintenance are needed.
- Assists Retail Manager in managing inventory. Formulates pricing policies by reviewing merchandising activities; determines additional needed sales promotions. Tracks shrinkage with follow up of discrepancies.
- Maintains secure handling of and delivery of cash with weekly bank deposits, reconciliations and stocking bills and change when necessary.
- Upholds excellent standards of customer service, including greeting every customer, educating them about The Trustees and the BPM, and helping them in a friendly manner.
- Performs opening and closing duties as necessary.
- Merchandises the cheese cases, including rotating products and creating visually appealing displays.
- Prepares weekly social media content and coordinated posts with ESM and Marketing.
- Shared on-call availability with Retail Manager as needed.
- Attends Trustees meetings and trainings as necessary.
- Supporting GM and Engagement Site Manager as needed.
Education and Experience:
- 2 years of progressively responsible experience in culinary education,
- Culinary certification preferred
- Food Safety Certification (Servsafe)
- Allergy Awareness Certification
- TIPS Certification
- Supervisory experience in food production
- Demonstrated commitment to seasonal cooking.
- Demonstrated ability to manage deadlines, projects and relationships;
- Strong understanding of customer service best practices;
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of artisan cheese;
- Background check required;
- Flexible work schedule, nights and weekends required;
- Willingness to travel within Massachusetts using a personal vehicle.
- The ability to lift 40lbs independently and spend periods of time standing during events.
Please Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
The Trustees offers competitive compensation and the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors, who love the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Trustees of Reservations aims to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts, who are at the core of our mission.Compensation this position is PAID: hourly, varies DOE, $11.00 - $15.00 How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline