General Operations Manager Crown Finish Caves
- Date Posted August 15, 2018
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Agriculture / Production
- Job Type Full-Time
Crown Finish Caves is seeking an general operations manager. We are a licensed dairy processing plant located in the Crown Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn, NY that specializes in aging cheese. No milk is processed on site. Rather, we work directly with artisan producers to receive their cheese when it is freshly made, "green" cheese. We strive to age the cheese for the optimum amount of time, which is anywhere from a couple weeks up to a year plus depending on the style. We market the cheese and sell it here in NYC, as well as to specialty shops across the country.
Our facility is located in a mid-19th century brewery that was operational until Prohibition. 30 feet below street-level are the original, arched-brick "lagering" tunnels where beer fermented over one hundred years ago. We have renovated one tunnel and retrofitted it with a modern climate control system to create a stable and ideal cheese-aging environment. Currently, we are aging a wide variety of cheeses from small-format, soft-ripened washed rind and bloomy rind to large-format Alpine styles and cheddars. We are aging cheese made from cows’ milk, goats’ milk, sheeps’ milk, mixed milks, and even water buffalo milk. We work directly with producers in the Northeast, Wisconsin, as well as one family farm in Italy.
Crown Finish Caves is seeking a General Operations Manager.
We are a licensed dairy processing plant located in the Crown Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn, NY that specializes in aging cheese. No cheese is made on site.
All applicants must have an incredible attention to detail. Food safety is paramount to our operation.
As part of the Crown Finish team you will experience the everyday realities of working in a small urban commercial dairy processing plant and be a part of a small but rapidly growing cheese-aging business in the heart of the country's greatest artisan cheese market.
The general operations manager covers a wide array of tasks. Below is a general list of activities.
- Bookkeeping – record keeping- creating BOL’s, invoices, inventory, PO’s, checks, payments – we use software called Xero (can train)
- Logistics/Shipping - temping, logging, boxing, labeling, packing, tracking materials, pallet building
- Food Safety Systems- point person for Food Safety- maintaining/building FSMA program, environmental swabbing, ATP testing and final product testing
- Cave Work- manage weekly affinage for soft-ripened cheeses- including washing and wrapping
We are a dedicated small company with a tight team of (4). The description may seem extensive but because of the size of our company we cover a lot of ground but on small levels. There is overlap for all four positions- we can all fill in for each other as necessary. The qualifications are for an ideal canditate, but we're willing to train.
- ORGANIZED and RELIABLE
- strong communication skills
- good interpersonal and customer service skills
- food safety knowledge especially HACCP/FSMA a plus but can train
- cheesemonger or other food handling experience preferred
- ability to work on your feet, lift 50+ pounds, bend low and reach high
salary position M-F with health insurance options
- Flexible Start – ideally Oct/Nov