Farm Manager Greater Newark Conservancy
- Date Posted October 11, 2018
- Location Newark, NJ
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
MISSION: Founded in 1987, Greater Newark Conservancy www.citybloom.org promotes environmental stewardship to improve the quality of life in New Jersey’s urban communities.
One of several ways the Conservancy engages the community to achieve this mission is through urban gardening and agriculture projects.
Our accomplishments include the creation of a 2.5 acre farm within the City limits. The majority of crops on the farm are sold at local farmers’ markets by our Youth Farm stand operation throughout the city.Job Description
Position Summary: Urban Farm Manager is responsible for planning, organizing and managing the activities of a farm to meet the objectives of Greater Newark Conservancy. The Urban Farm Manager position requires a strong practical knowledge of agricultural skills and farm management, a broad understanding of community food security, and a passionate commitment to food justice and social change. The Urban Farm Manager provides technical expertise and opportunities for hands-on learning opportunities, as appropriate within the needs of the farm. The Manager has primary responsibility for developing and managing the farm enterprises associated with Greater Newark Conservancy in a manner that meets the business and educational goals of the Conservancy.
Position Description: Greater Newark Conservancy is seeking a full-time Urban Farm Manager to manage production and operations at our urban farm in Newark. The Hawthorne Avenue Farm, is a 2.5 acre community focused farm located in the south ward of Newark immediately adjacent to the Hawthorne Avenue Elementary School. The Farm consists of teaching gardens, a fruit orchard, a school garden, a community gardening area and 2-acre production area once fully realized. A hoophouses, is part of the future plans for Hawthorne Avenue. The Urban Farm Manager is responsible for the management, planning, and oversight of the Conservancy’s farming operations at Hawthorne Farm from land preparation through quality harvest including all aspects of chemical free vegetable, herb, flower and fruit production. The Urban Farm Manager reports to the Director of Horticulture.
- business and planting plans
- pest control and weed management
- field cultivation, compost and seed production
- harvest and market the farm's products.
- supervision of farm staff/interns/volunteers
- volunteer planning and management for groups of all sizes. Includes:
- Working with Director of External Relations on volunteer schedule and to plan tasks ahead of time
- Give overview of Conservancy and projects, network with key corporate partners
- Complete all paperwork regarding to volunteer program on a timely basis before and after each event
- manage a team of interns and develop program activities for summer months
Tasks will include:
- pest and weed management
- distribution of harvest
- working with other staff
Finally, work with all Conservancy staff to coordinate harvest and sales at farmers’ markets and/or restaurants is required.
The ideal candidate will have 3-5 years of farm management experience, preferably at an organic or chemical free farm.
- Experience supervising staff and/or volunteers and working with diverse communities.
- Experience teaching youth and/or adults in a farm or garden setting.
- Interest and familiarity with issues relating to local food, food access, and sustainable agriculture, organic gardening, and a genuine appreciation of the urban environment.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and/or as part of a team.
- Proficiency in all MS office applications
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, natural resources, plant science, horticulture or a related field or equivalent experience
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline