Assistant Meat Manager Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op
- Date Posted October 12, 2018
- Location Sacramento, CA
- Category Business / Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
The Fish, Meat, and Poultry Assistant Manager is responsible for overseeing and directing all aspects of Fish, Meat, and Poultry operations in the absence of and per the direction of the Fish, Meat, and Poultry Manager. The Fish, Meat, and Poultry Assistant Manager ensures accurate and efficient filling of customer requests, attractive and full displays, and consistently phenomenal customer service. This position upholds management best practices, develops and mentors department personnel, adheres to labor and food safety guidelines, and ensures others maintain compliance with policy and procedures by establishing clear expectations in a manner that upholds the values of Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op and the cooperative identity.
DEPARTMENT: Fish, Meat, and Poultry
REPORTS TO: Fish, Meat, and Poultry Manager
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Uphold all Co-op policies, procedures and expectations.
- Customer Experience
- Under the direction of the Fish, Meat, and Poultry Manager, ensure the department operates effectively and efficiently; facilitate day-to-day operation and guarantee performance standards are met and that employees consistently work towards their ideal and peak performance.
- Exceed our customers’ expectations for service and provide a welcoming environment for all people and all diverse backgrounds and in accordance with the Co-op’s customer service standards.
- Model, provide, and ensure customers receive prompt, friendly and courteous services in a professional manner that markets our cooperative advantage.
- Maintain a calm and friendly demeanor with all customers and in all situations.
- Monitor and ensure that staff keep work areas neat, clean and orderly.
- Department Operations
- Stock of fish, meat, and poultry following proper guidelines for merchandising, rotation, sanitation, pricing, mechanizing, and organic quality standards.
- Follow proper procedures for opening and closing.
- Order products following proper procedures as directed by supervisor.
- Take special orders from customers.
- Maintain a working knowledge of fish, meat, and poultry vendors and their products including how these suppliers meet our organic quality standards.
- Maintain a working knowledge of department delivery schedules.
- Receive orders, weigh in product, inspect for quality, record date received, and fill out receiving reports and other paperwork as needed.
- Organize and maintain cleanliness of walk-in cooler and all work areas, rotating product and noting products that need to be ordered.
- Take customer orders over the counter, help customers making selections, and suggest uses for products to customers.
- Process customer orders following proper procedures for preparing and packaging products.
- Maintain department sanitation standards following proper Good Organic Retailing Procedures (GORP) for cleaning utensils, counters, sinks, cutting surfaces, walls, and floors.
- Managerial Duties
- In collaboration with the Fish, Meat, and Poultry Manager create, develop, communicate, implement, audit, and evaluate operating standards and procedures and make adjustments as needed.
- Know and adhere to all aspects of the Employee Handbook, current policies and procedures, safety programs, and collective bargaining agreements.
- Establish clear expectations for direct reports and support direct reports to ensure expectations are exceeded.
- Delegate and assign tasks for department personnel as needed and ensure tasks are completed.
- Provide adequate and timely communication with the Fish, Meat, and Poultry Manager in regards to problems/concerns, opportunities, recognition, and other matters of importance.
- Supervise work performance and conduct of personnel and support the Co-op’s performance management practices in accordance with Co-op policies, procedures, labor and legal guidelines.
- Model behaviors that support the values of the Co-op, through supportive and participatory leadership, promoting cooperation, team building, and motivating employees to achieve goals.
- Immediately address and report concerns with employee behaviors or work performance to the Fish, Meat, and Poultry Manager and support them in investigating and addressing the concern appropriately.
- Monitor and help ensure that Fish, Meat, and Poultry staff are properly attired, including chef coat, hat, and nametag, and are mentally and physically prepared for work duty upon arrival.
- Help create and facilitate trainings for employees that enhance and build upon their skills, knowledge and abilities. Ensure new hires are trained appropriately and effectively.
- Contribute to regular performance evaluations and provide coaching as needed.
- Support the Co-op’s security and safety protocols and establish strong departmental control measures.
- Note absences, tardiness, shift changes, and other variances or patterns according to procedure. Reallocate labor as needed to meet operating needs.
- Coordinate and authorize breaks for cashiers in accordance with Co-op policy, collective bargaining agreement, and the needs of the department.
- Assist Fish, Meat, and Poultry Manager with scale system as needed.
- Order and maintain adequate supplies.
- Support recruitment practices by screening and interviewing applicants per management’s direction.
- Support Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op’s marketing and outreach initiatives and contribute to marketing, outreach, and events as requested.
- Model communications with staff that are timely, clear, direct, and respectful.
- Model leadership behaviors to motivate staff and encourage teamwork.
- Treat staff equitably, fairly, consistently, and with respect.
- Financial Accountability
- Work with the Fish, Meat, and Poultry Manager on scheduling and budgeting as requested.
- Other Duties
- Assist in inventory counts, storewide cleaning, and other projects as needed.
- Attend meetings and events as requested.
- Ensure equipment repair and maintenance is communicated to appropriate personnel and make adjustments until equipment has been improved.
- Maintain working knowledge of and ability to perform all duties of direct reports.
- Adhere to department dress code.
For a complete job description, please visit https://sac.coop/paycom/
Compensation this position is : hourly, varies DOE, $18.55 - $23.46 Application instructions