Events Manager Georgia Organics
- Date Posted October 25, 2018
- Location Atlanta, GA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
Georgia Organics is a dynamic and growing statewide nonprofit connecting organic food from Georgia farms to Georgia families. Founded in 1997, the organization is based in Atlanta and led by a board of directors, staff of 14 employees and additional support from consultants, interns, members and volunteers. Georgia Organics has three primary goals to:
- Increase the number of organic and sustainable farmers in rural and urban areas
- Increase the number of children participating in farm to school programs
- Increase the number of Georgians eating organically grown, local food
Georgia Organics is seeking a full-time Events Manager based in its Atlanta office. The Events Manager plans and manages all Georgia Organics hosted events, including the annual conference. The annual conference is Georgia Organics’ biggest programmatic event of the year and unites farmers, chefs, businesses, nonprofits, school professionals, community activists, gardeners and eaters. The Events Manager will also build upon and expand the organization’s fundraising and special events programs, working closely with the Director of Development. The Events Manager reports directly to the Director of Programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Conference Leadership & Event Management
- Plan, design and implement overall management plans and logistics for events including but not limited to our annual conference, fundraising, programmatic, donor appreciation and cultivation events.
- Use a project management-based approach to establish planning tasks and timelines.
- Facilitate biweekly conference planning meetings with all staff.
- Leverage volunteer support to execute key event components and onsite logistics.
- Clearly define event roles and expectations with staff and key volunteers.
- Foster creative ideas that keep the annual conference dynamic and forward leaning.
- Develop the conference budget including rates, sponsorship goals and expense line items.
- Oversee conference evaluations and summarize key recommendations for future conferences.
- Implement solutions and new systems for improving year-over-year conference and event planning.
- Work with staff to develop all educational content and programming.
- Secure keynote speaker(s) with contract and negotiated honorarium.
- Oversee speaker recruitment, communications, compensation and evaluations.
- Work with Development and Communications team to develop the sponsor and exhibitor prospectus, including pricing and sponsorship levels.
- Coordinate key networking and reception elements and facilitate auxiliary partner activities.
Venue & Vendor Contracts
- Manage venue contracts and relations.
- Manage site selection and rotation for future conferences.
- Work with venue to block rooms, design layouts, and secure resource requirements.
- Procure appropriate AV and additional rentals as needed.
- Support promotions and publicity as well as on-site communications and signage.
- Develop composting plan and contracts and coordinate with venue and culinary team.
- Work with site selection company (Helms Briscoe) to secure hotel contracts, rates and blocks, and leverage hotel meeting space and services.
- Work closely with contracted food service/catering team to prepare high quality meals that reflect Georgia Organics’ mission to support local and organic foods and farms.
- Recruit and manage a culinary coordinator for the annual conference to execute menu planning, food sourcing, and onsite food and beverage logistics.
- Coordinate overall planning for the annual Farmers Feast, the culinary culmination of the conference.
- Develop an advanced checklist with outlined activities and responsibilities.
- Manage and track onsite logistics and troubleshoot issues as they arise.
Select Performance Measures
- Executing a well-organized, team-driven educational conference.
- Attendee numbers and evaluations, quantitative and qualitative.
- Meeting budgetary goals.
- Lining up future conference dates, locations and contracts.
- Coordination of staff and volunteers to effectively distribute workload management.
Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree with five or more years of experience in event management and logistics.
- Demonstrated problem-solving, conflict resolution and systems management skills.
- Proven ability to prioritize and execute in a deadline-driven environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to handle situations with poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to effectively work within a team environment and inspire results.
- Experience working with venue, vendor and food service contracts.
- Attention to the completion of a variety of objectives and detailed tactics simultaneously.
- Proficiency working with Microsoft Office, databases, and registration systems.
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to manage tasks with limited supervision in a timely manner.
- Enthusiastic, tenacious, goal-oriented, and committed to excellence.
- Ability to travel and occasionally work evening and weekends.
- A commitment to the mission of Georgia Organics.
- People Skills: Ability to work independently and as a team player with Georgia Organics staff and partners. Handles situations with poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Communication Skills: Well developed written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of Georgia Organics.
- Integrity: Works with trustworthiness and integrity, is goal oriented and has a clear commitment to Georgia Organics’ core values.
- Resilience/Adaptability: Ability to be flexible, adaptable and operate effectively in an evolving environment.
- Awareness and Sensitivity of Self and Others: Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity. Has experience and the ability to work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner.