Retail Manager, Boston Public Market The Trustees
- Date Posted November 08, 2018
- Location Boston, MA
- Category Business / Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
About The Trustees of Reservations
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 26,000+ acres on 116 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 50,000 members.Job Description
Summary of Position:
The Retail Manager oversees the Appleton Farms retail shop at the Boston Public Market and is responsible for ensuring that all operations and personnel are managed appropriately. This position reports to the Trustees General Manager for the BPM. The ideal candidate has worked in a small or start-up business, has outstanding customer service experience and exceptional interpersonal skills. Appleton Farms at BPM is the premier outlet for Massachusetts artisanal cheese; the candidate must have a demonstrated passion for local food, seasonal cooking, and artisanal cheeses. The position requires a flexible schedule, with evening and weekend hours.
- Oversees and manages Assistant Manager and additional part-time hourly retail clerks, including approval of time sheets.
- Recruits, schedules, and trains hourly staff, volunteer staff and potential interns for AF at BPM, in collaboration with the GM, the Engagement Site Manager, The Trustees Boston Volunteer Coordinator, and The Trustees Membership Team.
- Coordinates routine sampling visits by artisan cheesemakers and farmers with the Massachusetts Cheese Guild.
- Manages weekly product inventory for Appleton Farms booth and relationships with over 20 independent farmers and artisans, and wholesale buyers.
- Extensive back end use of Point of Sale System as well as providing staff assistance with difficult computing tasks. Maintains software updates, upgrades and all need of POS and IT system in collaboration with IT Department.
- Maintains high standards of sanitation, food safety and a clean and safe work environment.
- Ensures equipment is maintained and used properly and informs GM when repairs or maintenance are needed.
- Rigorously manages inventory. Formulates pricing policies by reviewing merchandising activities; determines additional needed sales promotions. Tracks shrinkage with follow up of discrepancies.
- Manages accounts receivable and payable in collaboration with Trustees Finance department, with weekly reporting to the GM.
- Maintain secure handling of and delivery of cash with weekly bank deposits, reconciliations and stocking bills and change.
- Upholding excellent standards of customer service, including greeting every customer, educating them about The Trustees and the BPM, and helping them in a friendly manner.
- Performing opening and closing duties as necessary.
- Managing the POS system, including cash handling and reconciliations.
- Merchandising the cheese cases, including rotating products and creating visually appealing displays.
- Maintain annual health licensing and food safety certifications.
- Sets and meets weekly sales, budgetary and membership goals for the whole AF at BPM team.
- Shared on-call availability with Assistant Manager as needed.
- Attends Trustees meetings and trainings as necessary.
- Supporting GM and Engagement Site Manager as needed.
Education and Experience:
5+ years of progressively responsible experience in culinary education,
B.A. in related field and a minimum of three years as a manager or supervisor.
Culinary certification preferred
Food Safety Certification (Servsafe)
Allergy Awareness Certification
Supervisory experience in food production
Demonstrated commitment to seasonal cooking.
Demonstrated ability to manage deadlines, projects and relationships;
Strong understanding of customer service best practices;
Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills;
Demonstrated experience and knowledge of artisan cheese;
Background check required;
Flexible work schedule, nights and weekends required;
Willingness to travel within Massachusetts using a personal vehicle.
The ability to lift 40lbs independently and spend periods of time standing during events.
The Trustees offers competitive compensation and the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors, who love the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Trustees of Reservations aims to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts, who are at the core of our mission.Compensation this position is PAID: salaried, less than 50k How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline