Events Intern Edible Schoolyard NYC
- Date Posted December 03, 2018
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Education / Nonprofit
- Job type Internship/Apprentice
Edible Schoolyard NYC’s mission is to support edible education for every child in New York City. We partner with New York City public schools to cultivate healthy students and communities through hands-on cooking and gardening education, transforming children’s relationship with food. Inspired by the philosophy and model of Edible Schoolyard Berkeley and its founder, acclaimed restaurateur and food activist Alice Waters, Edible Schoolyard NYC was founded in 2010 to serve the specific needs of students in historically underserved public schools.
If you are passionate about food and making a difference, this is the place for you. While edible education is our core focus, we connect to the food world in many different ways. We work with top chefs and restaurants on partnerships which support our work, and collaborate with diverse brands to increase awareness of our mission. Many of our staff are passionate foodies and cooks, and we enjoy swapping recipes and food whenever possible. We are guided by six core values: 1. Passion and dedication 2. Community 3. Learning and discovery 4 Wellness 5. Collaboration 6. Equity.Internship description
Edible Schoolyard NYC is currently looking for an Events Intern to assist with fundraising, events, and administration at ESYNYC’s central DUMBO office.
We’re looking for a dynamic, self-starting intern with a strong passion for our mission, to support ongoing and long-term projects as well as day-to-day operations at a growing non-profit. The Events Intern will be an integral member of the Development team.
The intern reports to ESYNYC’s Events and Engagement Manager and assists a small Development and Communications team. S/he assists with on-going events projects and the day-to-day operations of the office, supporting the Executive Director, Vice President of Development, Communications and Outreach Coordinator, and Development Assistant. The Intern will gain valuable knowledge of nonprofit special events, event planning, and fundraising.
Core responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in the execution of fundraising events, including the Spring Benefit and cultivation events.
- Create lookbooks and thank you documents for all events
- Organize and assist with implementing event collateral including: mailings, invitations, guest lists, programs, and gift bags
- Act as a day of assistant for the Spring Benefit with responsibilities including: organizing the volunteers, coordinating the auction spotting meeting, stuffing gift bags
- Assist the Communications and Outreach Coordinator by helping support all design and print deadlines for the Spring Benefit
The ideal candidates will have proven administrative ability and demonstrated interest in our mission. S/he will have excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills as well as demonstrated ability to work with a variety of personalities.
Core qualifications include:
- Strong people skills and with positive attitude and outlook.
- Strong belief in ESYNYC mission and social impact.
- Energetic, hard worker, with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Demonstrated ability to work with supervisors, colleagues, and volunteers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, good judgment, and discretion.
- Highly organized with an ability to manage multiple priorities and projects and meet tight deadlines.
- Solid experience with Microsoft Office programs and Google Drive.
- Knowledge of food security, school gardens, nutrition, public health or related field a plus.
- Design experience a plus
- Applicants must be enrolled in an associate, baccalaureate, or graduate degree.
HOURS AND COMPENSATION:
This is a non-exempt part-time PAID position from the beginning of January through the end of April. The intern is expected to work approximately 20 hours per week in January and February and 30 hours per week in March and April and will be paid $15/hour.Compensation this position is : hourly, $15/hr +