Farm Camp Youth Leadership Counselor Wolfe's Neck Center
- Date Posted January 04, 2019
- Location Freeport, ME
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job Type Summer Job
Farm Camp is a summer day camp program for children ages 4-15. Campers engage in hands-on learning about sustainable agriculture and the environment while taking care of livestock, tending our gardens, and exploring nearby ecosystems. Each year, we host hundreds of campers from the local community and out of state.
The Farm Camp season runs from June 10 - August 23, 2019. This includes one week of staff training (June 10 - 14) and ten weeks of camp (June 17 - August 23). As this is a day camp program, each week runs Monday through Friday.
Role & Responsibilities
Do you enjoy the unique charm of teens and tweens? Would days full of farm projects, outdoor exploration, and leadership development make your heart sing? If so, consider joining us as a Youth Leadership Counselor. This dynamic position plans and leads activities for our oldest campers, ages 11-15, for the following two programs:
- Farmward Bound (ages 11-13) focuses on farming, ecology, and leadership development. Campers complete meaningful projects around the farm such as milking our dairy goat, trimming sheep hooves, and harvesting vegetables for the local food pantry. This immersive program also includes hiking at a local state park, saltwater canoeing, team-building challenges, and an overnight camp-out each week. 6 weeks total.
- Farm-Based Cooking (ages 13-15) focuses on culinary arts, seasonal eating, and sustainable food systems. After an introduction to food safety techniques, campers practice preparing delicious dishes from scratch using produce grown right here on the farm. 2 weeks total.
Our ideal candidate has experience working with middle school and high school aged youth and is excited to engage them with farming, food systems, outdoor exploration, and leadership development. We’re looking for someone with a compassionate leadership style, who empowers youth and helps them achieve their potential. Our Youth Leadership Counselors work together as a collaborative team, so we’re also looking for staff who can take initiative, communicate effectively, and help out as needed. Specifically, we’re looking for the following skills and qualifications:
- Experience working with youth ages 11-15
- Experience leading groups in outdoor settings. Experience camping and canoeing a significant plus
- Experience with and/or knowledge of sustainable agriculture, farming, gardening, livestock, or culinary arts
- Ability to effectively manage groups and cultivate a safe and supportive learning environment
- Ability to manage risk and exercise judgment on a working farm
- Ability to work outside in a variety of environments and weather (including heat, humidity, and rain)
- Current First Aid & CPR certification required (or willingness to obtain before start date). Current WFA, WFR and/or Lifeguard certification strongly preferred
- Current Food Handlers certification required (or willingness to obtain before start date)
- Valid driver’s license. Must be 21 or older in order to operate farm vehicles, including tractor
This is a full-time, seasonal summer position. Typical working hours are Monday through Friday, from 8am – 4:30pm, though occasional evening hours will be required (including a Thursday overnight for Farmward Bound). Documentation establishing your right to work in the United States is required along with the completion of a successful background check. Must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record. Must be 21 or older in order to operate farm vehicles, including tractor.
Bi-weekly stipend; potential for on-site housing; free rentals for bikes, kayaks, and canoes; discounted oceanfront camping (based on availability); 25% discount on farm products (including meat, eggs, and seasonal produce); 25% discount in the Farm Café and Farm Store. Compensation this position is PAID: stipend How to apply