Director of Retail Marketing Salt and Straw +1 more
- Date Posted January 10, 2019
- Location Portland, OR
- Category Culinary / Media
- Job Type Full-Time
n 1996, Kim Malek had a dream of opening her own ice cream shop. She held on to this dream while continuing to work for several Fortune 500 companies where she learned the value of building a business model around compassion, transparency and putting people first. In 2011, she and her cousin Tyler fortuitously realized they were on similar paths and decided to make the dream a reality. Overnight, Tyler moved from Seattle to Portland to join Kim as head ice cream maker. Kim cashed out her 401K and signed a lease for their first shop and started serving scoops out of a custom push cart while waiting for construction to be completed. Kim scooped by day and Tyler scooped by night, showcasing creative regional flavors from locally sourced ingredients. It wasn’t long before they were reviewed by the Wall Street Journal, expanded to national distribution, and were featured as one of Oprah’s Favorite Things.
Today, Salt and Straw has 18 locations across six different cities, including the exciting Disneyland Resort scoop shop that opened in October 2018. They continue to only make small-batch, handmade, ice cream, confections and baked goods at one of two facilities in Portland, OR, or Los Angeles, CA. They only use all-natural dairy and the best local, sustainable and organic ingredients that Oregon has to offer, as well import flavors from small farms and producers around the world. They are proud to incorporate a cast of local chefs, cheese-mongers, chocolatiers, brewers, coffee roasters and more to make ice cream that is unique to each city they inhabit.
Salt & Straw is looking for an innovator to join our marketing team as the Director of Retail Marketing. This role will be responsible for enhancing/building connections and driving sales in our scoop shops. This position will work extensively with the Retail Operations team and collaborate closely with Creative, Digital Marketing, Culinary, and Communications. We’re looking for someone to develop an integrated annual marketing plan utilizing PR, social media, email marketing, events, pop-ups, and in-shop messaging to support new stores/new markets, focus stores/markets, flavor launches, new products and limited-time-offerings.
Essential Job Functions
- Partner with key functional owners to align on marketing strategies and business objectives
- Drive marketing communications plan to support the success of our scoop shops
- Develop marketing plans and project timelines
- Lead external agencies and internal teams in strategy development and execution
- Lead development and budget allocation
- Review progress and report on ROI
- Forecast budget and reallocate funds as needed
Business Thinker, Customer-centric, Functional & Technical Expertise, Problem-solving, Results Oriented, Retail Execution, Event Planning, Visual Merchandising, Organization & Planning, Strategic Thinking, Visioning, High Drive/Energy, Effective Communication, Adaptability, Creativity, Risk Taker
- A Bachelor's degree in marketing, business or related field; MBA a plus
- 4+ years experience in retail marketing
- A proven track record in managing and optimizing a budget to ROI goals
- Analytical, proactive, problem-solving skills with curiosity
- The ability to see trends and to extract actionable insights from data to drive results
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Excel skills (v-lookups, pivot tables), and strong communication and presentation skills
Salary: Competitive pay commensurate with experience
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, Life Insurance & AD&D Coverage, Short-Term Disability Insurance, Long-Term Disability Insurance, Holidays and Paid Time Off, Employee assistance program (counseling), Maternal & Paternal Leave, and Free ice cream!
Compensation this position is PAID: salaried, 50k to 100k How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline