- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
Growing Gardens Farm Chef Growing Gardens
- Date Posted February 08, 2019
- Location Boulder, CO
- Category Culinary / Education
- Job type Part-Time
Growing Gardens is a Boulder based non-profit organization established in 1998 with the mission to enrich the lives of the community through sustainable urban agriculture. Growing Gardens helps people experience a direct, deep connection with food, the land and each other through our programs for diverse populations: the Children’s Peace Garden (Ages 5-11), Community Classes, Community Gardens, Growing Gardens Food Project, and Cultiva Youth Project (Ages 12-18). Our activities are centered in the heart of Boulder on 11 acres of land that has been in agricultural use for the past 100 years. We expanded our programming in 2016 to include a 1 acre farm in neighboring Longmont, Colorado, which provides fresh produce and agriculture-based education to the Longmont community. To learn more about Growing Gardens, visit www.growinggardens.org.Job description The Growing Gardens Farm Chef works to deliver high quality education programs for children, teens and adults as well as execute successful Growing Gardens events. This includes working with our Program Director to develop classes related to core curriculum, and setting class and event themes that appeal to local audiences with our Marketing & Events Manager. The Farm Chef also oversees management of our Commercial Kitchen space, including kitchen supplies and equipment.
This dynamic role provides a unique opportunity for the right person to bring their passion and experience in cooking, teaching and events together to serve our community.
Growth Potential: This position has the ability to grow into a full time salaried position in the future with the right person developing new opportunities. This position offers many rewards and is a great opportunity to put your heart into your workplace. See the full Job Description at https://tinyurl.com/y9ontrqn for specifics.
● Culinary degree or equivalent
● Event management experience
● Team management experience, ability to communicate clearly and work closely with people from various backgrounds
● Catering experience
● Experience teaching cooking classes
● Understanding of commercial kitchen equipment use, maintenance, and upkeep.
● Ability and desire to teach cooking techniques to a wide range of ages and abilities.
● A passion for community food and agriculture and a desire to inspire that in others.
● Flexibility and adaptability to work with changing needs and resources Preferred:
● Experience with Farm to Table events
● Experience planning a menu based on seasonally available ingredients
● Experience working in a non-profit setting
● Experience working with children and teens
● Spanish - conversational or fluency
Major Functions and Accountabilities:
● The Farm Chef reports to Executive Director
● Teaches cooking classes in three Growing Gardens programs: Children’s Peace Garden, Cultiva Youth Project and Community Classes
● Works with Program Director to develop new cooking and nutrition curriculum for Children’s Peace Garden and Cultiva Youth Project
● Teaches Community Classes including Garden to Table cooking, food preservation, pickling and fermentation, cheese making, etc.
● Works with the Marketing and Development Manager to develop new community classes and coordinate menus for farm to table events
● Works with Nutrition Education Coordinator to teach cooking classes for low income families highlighting easy to make recipes with accessible ingredients
● Coordinates 9 guest chefs for Farm Gala for 280 guests
● Develop and execute Farm to Table Dinners on our Boulder farm
● Coordinate with partner organizations and clients to rent and use Growing Gardens barn event space for outside events
● Trains interns and staff on kitchen protocols and food safety practices
● Coordinate and organize supplies for cooking classes and events
● Keep kitchen supply and event rental inventory organized
● Record keeping and administrative work documenting programming and events
● Hours change seasonally and additional time may be required as necessary, including weekend and evening work and long hours on event days
● Ability to operate computers, mobile devices, office and kitchen tools
● Ability to interact with volunteers, interns, youth, people with disabilities and the general public on a daily basis
● Able to work on uneven terrain in the field
● Able to lift 30lbs
● Must be able to successfully manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
● Must submit to a fingerprint background check for our Childcare License
● Must have current Medical Administration, CPR and First Aid Cert. prior to start date Compensation this position is : hourly, varies DOE, $17.00 - $22.00 Application instructions