Farm Crew Member Maple View Farm
- Date Posted March 19, 2019
- Location Poughquag, NY
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
Maple View Farm is looking to hire a full time field crew member and a part time wash house/propagation crew member. We are a high production no-till market Garden which produces a variety of vegetables, herbs, flowers, and micro-greens. We use regenerative, sustainable, and organic farming practices to ensure optimum soil health and beautiful produce. The Farm supplies 2 local farmers markets, restaurants, and a small CSA. Our 1/3 acre (and growing) no-till market garden is managed and maintained with an efficient crew of 2-3 members. The work is fast paced, physically demanding, and requires focus and efficiency in order to get all tasks completed in a timely manner. Crew members will spend 80% of their week working independently and/or as a crew on producing and harvesting vegetables, greens, herbs, and flowers. The other 20% may include attending farmers markets, weekend irrigation, and/or grounds maintenance tasks or other projects. Full time work hours are expected to be 40-45 hours/week Monday-Friday 8am-5pm with 1-2 weekends per month. Part time work hours are expected to be 8-16 hours/week Wednesdays and Fridays.
The season begins with intensive training and working closely with the vegetable manager. Crew members are expected to gain responsibility and autonomy as the season progresses. By mid-season, crew members will be assigned leadership in various production tasks based on talent and interest.
FULL TIME FIELD Crew member responsibilities (April-October/November)
- Field Preparation through applying composts, soil amendments, broadforking, raking and weeding
- Perform all tasks related to vegetable production: Seeding, transplanting, watering, harvesting, washing/packing produce, pruning/trellising, recording production records
- Assume responsibility for one or more production-related tasks
- Staff our weekend farmers market 1-2 weekends per month
- Assist in pack-out for wholesale, CSA and markets
- Run delivery routes for wholesale accounts
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- At least 1 year of full-time work in farming, or, related fields requiring physical labor such as landscaping, culinary work, etc.
- Strong work ethic and an eye for both quality and efficiency
- Ability to take direction, learn quickly, and work autonomously
- Strong teamwork and communication skills; patience, flexibility, and emotional maturity.
- Applicants should have a strong understanding of the physical requirements of working on a farm and being outside in all kinds of weather.
- The ability to lift 50 lbs, repeatedly
- A valid US drivers license, reliable transportation, and a clean driving record
COMPENSATION & EXPECTATIONS:
Compensation is $11.25-$13/hour plus vegetables from the farm. Housing is not included; having personal transportation is necessary. Full time employees will receive 2 days of paid sick leave/vacation time during the season. The Farm is a smoke and drug free environment.
Maple View Farm
900 Route 216
Poughquag, NY 12570
Ph: 203-349-1925Compensation this position is : hourly, varies DOE, $11.25 - $13.00 Application instructions