Community Manager Mess Hall
- Date Posted June 13, 2019
- Location Washington, DC
- Category Business
- Job Type Full-Time
About Mess Hall
Mess Hall is a unique Culinary Incubator. We offer independent food entrepreneurs access to shared commercial kitchens while providing valuable programming to launch and accelerate the growth of these local business. We have a fantastic reputation and are regarded as a vibrant and diverse local food community. Mess Hall provides exclusive resources, support, a strong social network, and innovative partnerships to help pave a path to success for our Members.
Our facility is also a hotspot for innovative food-related events. Our premium event space and demo kitchen enables us to uniquely produce buzzworthy events such as Ramen World, New Kitchens on the Block and Some Disassembly Required. We also host killer private events.
Mess Hall is located near the historic Brookland section of Washington, DC. We have received continued press recognition and national accolades since our opening in 2014. We are recipients of the 2015 Mayor’s Sustainability Award for our greening practices, recognized as one of the Top Business Accelerators in the nation by the US Small Business Administration, and recognized with a Top Innovators award by the Washington Business Journal in 2016.Job Description
Mess Hall is looking for…
A bright, motivated, organized, and energetic candidate to become our Community Manager. This position manages the lifecycle of our relationships with our Members (makers) – from Membership sales and onboarding, to creating paths to foster our Members’ growth. The Community Manager also creates and maintains strategic partnerships with external organizations to develop meaningful programming and other amenities, thereby making Mess Hall the top food accelerator in the city.
Our ideal candidate is a well-connected urbanite / localist who knows the DC food scene inside-out.
This is a robust position with endless possibilities, lots of responsibilities, and the chance to leave a lasting mark on Mess Hall, our Member companies and the food scene in DC. His/her main responsibilities will be to grow our Membership base, support our Member companies, manage our offerings (our culture and space), and attract new partners to our collective. This senior position answers directly to the Founder and requires the extreme dedication, flexibility, and tolerance for the day-to-day adventures that accompany the startup landscape.
This position is highly responsible for helping increase business sales for Mess Hall, AND is also impactful in generating marketing opportunities for both ourselves and our Member base. The candidate should be proficient in creating social media content/campaigns in conjunction with bringing a strong professional network.
As part a small business, the Community Manager will wear many hats. Responsibilities will include, but are in NO WAY limited to:
- Recruit new Members and renew existing Members to meet quotas.
- Serve as the main point of contact for all current Members and prospective Members. In short, you are often the first face of Mess Hall.
- Provide fantastic customer service and sharp public relations skills, but balance with a certain firmness necessary to protect the house.
- Continually develop and expand the Mess Hall brand internally and externally with the goal of making all Members proud of their Membership.
- Provide tours, manage and conduct new Member orientations/onboarding as part of the Mess Hall customer acquisition process/strategy.
- Collect and organize Members’ documents including but not limited to DOH, Business Licenses, Certificates of Insurance, etc.
- Manage invoicing and light accounting tasks associated with applying payments to invoices.
- Assist the Founder with miscellaneous projects and the occasional administrative tasks.
- Assist with the occasional light-duty operational tasks around the facility when all-hands are needed.
Programs and Partnerships:
- Continually improve and introduce new programs and partnerships for Members and the larger entrepreneurial community while maintaining / expanding our many existing partnerships.
- Serve as the main information conduit for Members - including everything from weekly Member “update” emails, to updates on policies/ procedures/operations, to event announcements and promotions.
- Serve as the voice of Mess Hall to the public - including managing the social media calendar/ posting regularly to social media channels and other content marketing efforts as needed. This includes writing Press Releases, social media content, newsletters, communications materials, and material for campaign.
- Serve as a brand ambassador by attending pertinent community events to garner new customers and partners.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree and demonstrated capability to perform job responsibilities through previous experiences.
- Minimum of 2 years B2B sales experience and/or maintaining a client base.
- The ideal candidate is actively part of the DC community and enjoys networking and meeting new people.
- S/he is personable, compassionate and creative with a passion for food/cooking, and small business/startups.
- EXTREME eye for detail and an unparalleled desire to do awesome things and do them very well. Accuracy is paramount.
- S/he is a self-starter who is highly organized, with the ability to multitask. The candidate must be able to create a project and/or task list and execute on each idea logically.
- Has experience building networks and community relationships with a diverse array of partners.
- Has excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Excel, a social media guru, and handy with mobile technology.
- MUST be available to work some nights and weekends.
- Experience in shared workspaces is a plus.
- Experience in commercial kitchens is a also a plus
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline