2019 Apprenticeship at Siena Farms Siena Farms
- Date Posted July 11, 2019
- Location Sudbury, MA
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job Type Internship/Apprentice
We are seeking hard-working, committed, positive individuals who are motivated by a career interest in sustainable agriculture to join our 2019 team. Our apprentices participate in many of the farm’s daily operations, including facets of production, harvest, and retail. This traditional, hands-on apprenticeship provides the opportunity to be an integral, productive part of our fast-paced, for-profit farm. Apprentices gain knowledge, farming skills, and professional work-experience to help them prepare for the next steps in their farming careers.
The apprentice position is seasonal, with flexible start and end dates between July and December. Hours range from 50-60 hours per week, (10-12 hour days, 5 days per week). Applicants should be prepared to lift upwards of 50lbs repeatedly and work in all weather conditions. Previous farming experience is preferred but not required. Compensation includes hourly wage and farm vegetables. We do not offer on-farm housing.
- Planting, including greenhouse propagation and mechanical transplanting
- Cultivation/weed-control by hand and hoe
- Field work such as trellising, pruning, fencing, and thinning
- Daily harvest of our 100+ varieties of vegetables, fresh herbs, and sunflowers
- Post-harvest handling, including washing, packing, and distribution
Sales & Distribution
- Preparation and packing of wholesale orders for restaurant deliveries
- Preparation and packing of CSA shares for pickup and distribution
- Sales and customer service at our Boston farmers’ markets
- Participation in farm events such as farm tours and volunteer days
Practical Training Sessions
- Participation in bi-weekly EMass CRAFT farm tours
- Orientation to core farming topics and systems, including crop-planning, field-planning, soil fertility, pest and disease management, irrigation, and farm equipment.
Our Apprentices, like all of our employees, are held to high standards for organization, communication, positive attitude, respect and kindness for coworkers, work quality, and professional agricultural work ethic and schedule.Compensation this position is PAID: hourly, under $15/hr How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline