Chelsea Farmers Market Manager Down to Earth Markets
- Date Posted August 14, 2019
- Location Chelsea, NY
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job type Part-Time
Down to Earth Markets is a mission-driven Certified B Corp, committed to using business as a power for good. We create and operate grower-producer farmers markets in New York City and Westchester with the goal of connecting cooks and eaters directly to local small scale farmers and food makers. Our mission is to grow the local food system and help ensure a future for small scale farming in the New York area, while taking our impact on the community, the environment and our staff into consideration with every business decision.
Chelsea Farmers Market Manager
Part-time, $17/hour position available at our Chelsea Farmers Market on Saturdays from 7:30am-5pm located on 23rd St in Manhattan with additional flexible hours outside of market day for flyering and community engagement opportunities.
- Supervising daily operations to assure a smooth and safe running market
- Enforcing market rules and regulations
- Collecting and reporting market data and success metrics
- Setting up and breaking down the market manager tent and market signage
- Selling farmers market branded items
- Serving as a market host to welcome and engage shoppers, promoting good relations between vendors, our company, and the shoppers as a representative of Down to Earth Markets. Assisting shoppers and vendors with use of food access and nutrition programs (WIC, SNAP, FMNP).
- Engaging with shoppers and vendors to report successes, concerns and opportunities to Down to Earth Markets.
- Representing the farmers market at community events and through flyering distributions.
- Monthly conference call with other managers who oversee our other Manhattan Farmers Markets and your Operations Manager
Physical / logistical requirements:
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Able to walk and stand for several hours at a time.
- Able to work in all weather conditions, e.g. heat, cold, rain, sun, wind, snow.
- Attend one annual Site Manager training at Down to Earth Market office in Ossining as scheduled.
- Complete two days of shadowing in advance of the market opening dates.
- Complete the required flyering shifts in advance of the markets’ opening date and during the course of the season.
- Arrive 1 ½ hours before the market start time to lead market set up and stay at least one hour past closing time to oversee breakdown and clean up.
- Communicate regularly with Operations and Marketing to ensure a steady flow of information between the office and the markets.
- Read weekly Site Manager Update, Shopper Email and other occasional communications.
- Receive and reply to last minute market updates relayed via e-mail, text or phone.
- Respond in a timely manner to communications from the office.
- Have use of a smartphone for market-day communications and to post to Facebook.
- Access to reliable transportation.
Your first day of work would be April 6th