Seasonal Greenmarket Manager Greenmarket- GrowNYC
- Date Posted August 15, 2019
- Location New York, NY
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
For nearly 50 years, GrowNYC has been transforming communities throughout the five boroughs by giving New Yorkers the tools and resources they need to make our city cleaner, healthier, and more sustainable. Whether it’s operating the world-famous Union Square Greenmarket, building a new community garden, teaching young people about the environment, or increasing recycling rates through education, GrowNYC is hard at work in your neighborhood. GrowNYC is a privately-funded 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization.Job description Seasonal Market Manager Overview- Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Upper and Lower Manhattan
Market Managers are Greenmarket’s representatives to the public. On a daily basis, they work to build healthy communities and create an environment where local farmers can sell their products and keep their farms viable.
The Market Manager position is seasonal and is comprised of three equally important components – operations, promotions and Healthy Exchange, our at-market food access program. We are searching for outgoing, decisive, flexible, organized early-risers who can prioritize tasks. A basic understanding of growing practices and the seasonality of local food is beneficial.
Market Manager Responsibilities:
- Oversee market set up – coordinate placement of farmer trucks and tents according to the market
- Complete daily reports and other market paperwork by assigned
- Enforce Greenmarket rules and
- Resolve conflict in the market, between farmers, customers, and the public, as it arises.
- Attend weekly meetings in the office at 100 Gold Street, and regularly communicate with supervisors regarding
Promotions & Outreach
- Connect and maintain relationships with customers, community leaders, city employees, local merchants, etc. while representing
- Plan and conduct cooking demonstrations and other at-market promotional
- Perform outreach in the local community to promote markets and the use of EBT/Food Stamps
Food Access- Healthy Exchange Programs
- Perform EBT and debit/credit transactions at market and maintain accurate records of those transactions using Greenmarket reporting
- Manage a bank of market currencies (eg. tokens, Healthbucks) and ensure that it is balanced after each market day.
- Educate customers on a variety of food access and incentive
Physical Requirements: This position requires working outdoors and standing for lengthy periods of time, sometimes in extreme temperatures, and in a potentially noisy environment. Market Managers must be able to lift heavy equipment and supplies, up to 50lbs.
- Early-riser who enjoys working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Passionate about farming, farmers markets, local agriculture, cooking, and/or food access
- Willing to work weekends and holidays, especially Saturdays
- Have experience in community outreach and/or education
- Enjoy talking with people of all backgrounds
- Work well both independently and as a member of a team
- Be a creative problem-solver, able to troubleshoot and use good judgment to make on-the-spot decisions
- Have strong communications skills, both written and verbal
- Be willing to obtain a valid Department of Health’s Food Protection Certificate within the first month of being hired
- Have a valid driver’s license and willingness to drive a cargo van (not required for all positions)
- Fluency in multiple languages is a big plus (especially, but not limited to, Spanish, Mandarin and Cantonese)
Full and part time positions are available, and we will be hiring on a rolling basis. Market Manager positions generally run from mid-May through November. Due to the seasonal nature of our work, requests for time off (other than sick days) cannot be easily accommodated. Some positions may transition from part-time to full-time and from seasonal to year-round as the season progresses.
The Market Manager position pays $16/hour and includes statutory benefits. For additional information, please visit http://www.GrowNYC.org.
GrowNYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation