- Date Posted October 19, 2019
- Location Los Angeles, CA
- Category Nonprofit
- Job type Part-Time
TITLE: Central Avenue Farmers’ Market Manager
STATUS: Part-time Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Senior Manager, Farmers’ Market Operations
Sustainable Economic Enterprises of Los Angeles (SEE-LA) is the largest mission-driven operator of farmers’ markets in Southern California and a leader in improving food access and nutrition education. SEE-LA is seeking a part-time Farmers’ Market Manager to manage the operation of the Central Avenue Farmers’ Market on Thursdays from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm, located at the 9th City Council District Field Office (4301 S. Central Ave.), established in 2002. Under the direction of SEE-LA’s Senior Manager, Farmers’ Market Operations, the Farmers’ Market Manager is responsible for the overall operation of the market, recruitment and retention of farmers/vendors, communications with community organizations, market vendors, volunteers and other SEE-LA managers/staff, organization of market activities and programs This position requires working Thursdays at the market (7:30 AM - 4 PM) and two (2), eight (8) hour days at SEE-LA’s office near Downtown LA.
- Experience or interest in Certified Farmers’ Markets, nutrition, food assistance programs, and community outreach
- Experience working collaboratively and communicating effectively with a wide variety of individuals, businesses, and organizations, including farmers, vendors, government inspectors, market partners, and community members
- Computer literacy (MS Office Suite, internet applications, email marketing, social media)
- Comfortable handling cash with, basic accounting skills
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to work Thursdays and Tuesdays, flexible work schedule
- Positive and cooperative attitude required
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) preferred
Central Avenue Farmers’ Market: Thursdays (8:00 am-5:00 pm)
- Responsible for oversight of the physical set-up and take-down of the market, including market events, as needed
- Responsible for assigning vendor spaces, enforcing market rules and other pertinent laws and regulations
- Effectively facilitate vendor check out
- Ensure all vendors and market site are in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations
- Interface with community, customers, and vendors in a professional manner
- Process CalFresh/EBT/WIC & Market Match transactions, per guidelines of programs
- Resolve emergencies, complaints, and requests from vendors, customers and community partners
- Ability to lift/carry 30 lbs.
SEE-LA Office – Two Weekdays
- Manage weekly market accounting and reconciling:
- Process all load lists from the previous market day
- Reconcile and submit all forms of payment including cash, check, EBT, Market Match, and WIC
- Complete weekly market day sales reports
- Organize and replenish EBT / Market Match supplies
- Communicate with vendors and market stakeholders regarding market policies, activities, and rules
- Maintain vendor files and other administrative tasks as needed
- Work with SEE-LA’s Manager, Farmers’ Market Operations to secure all necessary permits for operation of a Certified Farmers’ Market
- Collaborate with state and federal agencies to ensure vendor compliance as needed
- Develop digital and print promotional materials
- Promote the farmers’ market within the community, including presentations to schools, local businesses, churches, and other community-based organizations.
- Coordinate community events to be held at the market such as book signings, food demos, etc.
- Interface with community leaders, elected officials, and community stakeholders
- Attend SEE-LA staff meetings Tuesday afternoons and training as required
- Organize and attend farm, kitchen and studio visits as needed
Please submit a cover letter and resume via email to: email@example.com
(Subject Line: Central Avenue Farmers’ Market Manager). Email submissions only. No phone calls or faxes will be accepted.
Opportunity is open until filled.
SEE-LA is an equal opportunity employer.