Online Class Supporter The League of Kitchens
- Date Posted May 29, 2020
- Location New York, NY
- Category Culinary / Education
- Job type Part-Time
The League of Kitchens is a culinary dream-team of women from around the world who will welcome you into their homes, teach you their family recipes, and inspire you with their personal stories. In normal life (non-Covid-19 time), we offer culturally immersive cooking classes in New York City. We have now moved our classes online!
We opened in NYC in 2014. We currently have 12 instructors from all over the world, and have taught thousands of students from the U.S. and abroad.
Through this experience, we seek to build cross-cultural connection and understanding, and to increase access to traditional cooking knowledge.
We’re looking to hire 2-4 smart, big-hearted, self-directed, hard-working, and passionate individuals to help us with launching and managing our online classes!
The League of Kitchens has been featured in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Oprah Magazine, the Chew, Tasting Table, Saveur, The Splendid Table, and Time Out New York, among others. Conde Nast Traveler called the League of Kitchens “quite possibly the coolest foodie thing to do in NYC whether you're a visitor or local.”
We are currently pivoting to move our classes online, and we need people to help staff and support these online classes.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Act as the class supporter in our online classes, which take place on Zoom.
- Speak at the beginning of each class about the LoK.
- Provide a general overview/orientation for students, both to Zoom and to how the class will work (how people will ask questions, etc.).
- Help with spotlighting videos, muting and unmuting students, etc.
- Speak up to get the instructor's attention, if necessary.
- Thank everyone at the end and share a few last points about our survey, etc.
Who are we looking for?
- You have experience teaching and/or facilitating groups.
- You have some kind of professional experience with cooking.
- You're comfortable with public speaking.
- You are familiar with the ins and outs of Zoom.
- You have experience working with non-native speakers and people from other countries.
- You're dependable and thorough, and you go the extra mile with everything.
- You're self-directed and self-motivated.
- You're flexible and adaptive and have a great sense of humor. You're comfortable with change and flux. You have a "gung-ho/can-do" attitude.
- In general, you're great with people. You connect easily with people from different backgrounds and cultures. You're sensitive to complex and subtle social and cultural dynamics.
- You're warm, energetic, and enthusiastic, and you're always polite and professional in your interactions.
- You're excited about using food and cooking as a way to build cross-cultural connection and understanding, and you're passionate about promoting the contributions that immigrants make to our culture and society.
Hours: ~3-12 hours/week
Our classes and meetings (at least for now) will take place on the following days/times, and you must have availability for all of these. We're offering private classes during the week, so additional daytime and evening availability during the week is preferable.
Compensation: $20/hr as an independent contractor. You will additionally be paid to take every instructor's class as a student, and you will get a $20 food stipend for those classes.
Ideal Start Date: As soon as possible Compensation this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr Location job can be done remotely Application instructions