Americorps VISTA Idaho Hunger Relief Task Force
- Date Posted July 23, 2020
- Location Boise, ID
- Category Education / Nonprofit
- Job type Part-Time
Never has there been such need for a VISTA volunteer to address food security in our country and in Idaho. COVID-19 has revealed weaknesses in our food system and challenges of access to healthy food for those most at risk. Food is a basic right and food security is a stabilizing element in any community. The VISTA volunteer placed with the Idaho Hunger Relief Task Force will live in Boise, learn about local food systems, food as medicine and the importance of nutrition education paired with access.
Benefits: AmeriCorps VISTA receive a bi-weekly living stipend of $514 or $13,362 per year; an end-of-service education award of $6,195 [or] $1,800 cash stipend. Student loans can be deferred while serving, there is training before and during service, Health Coverage, and non-competitive status for federal government jobs after service.
Start Date: Monday, August 31, 2020. This is a one-year position with orientation beginning August 31st. One year of service is based in Boise, Idaho. Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 30, 2020.
The VISTA volunteer with the Idaho Hunger Relief Task Force will perform a variety of tasks:
- Rx for Fresh Fruits and Vegetables in Idaho (RxforFFV)
The RxforFFV program is a partnership with Idaho medical clinics to screen patients for food insecurity and diabetes. Those that screen positive are referred to the RxforFFV program to be enrolled in the 4-month RxforFFV with the goal of increasing consumption of fruits and vegetables with the overall vision of reducing the impact of household food insecurity and diabetes or prediabetes.
- VISTA volunteer will participate in the RxforFFV Guiding Group—receiving input on program development.
- VISTA volunteer will learn about the critical role nutrition education has in promoting food security and reducing impact of diabetes and prediabetes especially for this high-risk group during COVID-19.
- VISTA volunteers will research, design, and implement nutrition education ‘pathways’ for participants in the RxforFFV program.
- COVID-19 Responses to Child Nutrition and Idaho Families
School nutrition is often the main source of healthy food for Idaho students and families. As schools have closed due to COVID-19 with uncertain re-opening dates, Idaho students have lost access to healthy school meals. There is a time sensitive opportunity to bring critical food benefits to Idaho’s families through the Families First Coronavirus Response Act during this outbreak.
- VISTA volunteer will work with IHRTF partners to plan for Idaho students’ access to nutrition during this global pandemic.
Qualifications: Some college preferred but not required; self-motivated; reliable transportation; ability to travel locally upon occasion; highly organized and self-driven; interest in food systems.
For more information about the PROGRAM, visit the AMERICORPS VISTA website:
For more information about this VISTA position: Kathy Gardner, Director, Idaho Hunger Relief Task Force (208) 447-8218 or email@example.com. For more information on the Idaho Hunger Relief Task Force: www.idahohunger.org
Compensation this position is : salaried, less than 50k Application instructions