Seasonal Farmer Queens County Farm Museum +2 more
- Date Posted July 28, 2020
- Location Floral Park, NY
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
The Queens Farm Agriculture Department is looking for a motivated, energetic individual to join its team for the 2020 growing season, during its busiest time - harvest time! Through participation in the day-to-day operations of production, the Seasonal Farmer will learn about the skills necessary to work on a diversified farm.
Each day is different, and our farm team works together on approximately 3 acres to propagate, grow, harvest, process, and sell over 200 varieties of vegetables, fruits, herbs, and flowers. Seasonal Farmers also can gain some experience handling our livestock (2 steers, 2 alpaca, 6 sheep, 8 goats, and laying hens). As a public farm in New York City, Queens Farm is a unique place. Seasonal Farmers are exposed to considerations and responsibilities that extend beyond production, and are expected to patiently and thoughtfully interact with visitors. We strive to cultivate a space which engages people in many different ways.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- At least one (1) full season working in a diversified vegetable operation
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs
- Ability and willingness to work outside in adverse weather conditions and stand on one’s feet for extended periods
- Driver’s license and reliable transportation to the farm
- A commitment to learning different ways of growing & selling food and passionate about developing a career in agriculture
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team and independently
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with diverse populations
- Maintain high energy and work efficiently with attention to details and timeliness
Comfortable with a fast paced work environment
Our ideal candidate is self-motivated, positive, and patient, with stellar people skills and a passion for local food and sustainable food systems. Knowledge about a variety of organic produce would be a great asset to our team as well as an interest in small-scale intensive farming practices.
Queens County Farm Museum (QCFM) supports diversity in the workplace. QCFM is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer (EOE) and supports a drug-free workplace.
40 hours/week (at least one (1) weekend day per week required).
$15/hour. Season runs from now through early November.
Compensation this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline