Garden Supervisor Esalen Institute
- Date Posted July 28, 2020
- Location Big Sur, CA
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Full-Time
At Esalen, we believe in the power of our potential -- both in our staff and in our global community of students and faculty who turn to us for transformative learning experiences. More than 50 years ago, Esalen co-founders imagined a place inspired by Abraham Maslow’s psychology of peak experiences and Aldous Huxley’s belief in “human potentialities”, the unrealized capacities of our mind and body. Today we build on this legacy by creating deep connections in a world challenged by disconnection and isolation; reigniting awe and wonder to spark greater curiosity about ourselves and others; and asking the questions that can lead to transformative change both for an individual and society.
Esalen isn’t just a place to work, it’s an invitation to help change the world.Job description
This position fulfills a leadership role in the Farm and Garden Department, responsible for supervising a hand-cultivated production and education garden, using sustainable land management practices and supervising both the crop production in the garden as well as the education and training of the Farm and Garden Staff. This role reports to the Director of Facilities.
- Co-manage, orientation and supervision of Garden crew.
- Oversee the garden crop production and soil health (i.e. weekly plantings, cultivation, irrigation, fertility and pest management), and routine maintenance for the garden
- Manage the Farm and Garden propagation area including nursery and greenhouse
- Manage yearly and ongoing crop planning, materials organization and garden infrastructure maintenance
- Oversee extra production and exploration of new income avenues in relation to grants, farm stands and value added products; i.e. seed saving, plant sales, lawn sales, etc.
- Manage the harvest for Esalen kitchen. Oversee and manage of kitchen waste and compost operation including management of organic and green waste
- Design and lead both hands-on and lecture-based apprentice education session and Esalen Farm and Garden workshops when applicable and available.
- Collaborate on Garden short and long term planning with a focus on innovative techniques.
- Develop long-term systems for efficient and effective garden management (planting schedules, production goals, cultivation, irrigation, materials ordering, etc.
- Collaborate and support for Garden based workshops and programming (Experiencing Esalen, etc.)
- At least 3 years experience managing a production garden or equivalent training
- Garden crew management and training experience
- Knowledge of maintaining soil health, irrigation systems, composting techniques, pest control, weed control, etc. Have a sense of garden aesthetics.
- Prior skills in teaching sustainable agriculture curriculum and leading workshops
- Teaching skills, communication skills, time management ability, prioritizing and delegating
- A thorough understanding of sustainable gardening principles and practices
- Working knowledge of organic crop production, including vegetables, flowers, and herbs, native and perennials crops
- Ability to work with kitchen and other customers to ensure prompt delivery of requested produce
- Ability to schedule staff and supervise a crew. Participate and lead weekly staff meetings.
- Ability to communicate effectively and positively with staff, management, community and guests. Demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds in various situations
Esalen functions best when all staff work toward the common mission of encouraging everyone to reach our highest human potential. With this goal in mind, this job description is not intended to cover or contain an all-encompassing listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice based on Esalen’s and your team’s needs.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to maneuver on uneven ground, drive trucks and tractors, often carry and lift up to 60 pounds, safely handle and use tools and machinery, and ability to do physical garden/farm work including harvesting, hoeing, stake pounding/pulling, digging. Many of the activities require bending over, kneeling and sitting on uneven ground during cold and hot weather conditions. There is some exposure to dust, fumes, gas and chemicals.
The pay for this position is commensurate with experience. This role includes a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and paid time off. Esalen gives teammates access to an extensive range of daily experiential classes (yoga, dance, tai chi, and meditation), ongoing in-house education and training programs, and scholarship for Esalen workshops and massage.
Esalen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.Compensation this position is : hourly, varies DOE, $18.00 - $24.00 Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline