General Manager, Beachside Paradise Smiley's
- Date Posted September 04, 2020
- Location Bolinas, CA
- Category Business / Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
Smiley’s Saloon in Bolinas has been in continual operation since 1851 and is a popular gathering place for loyal customers, both local and visiting. In Summer, 2020 we will complete a major restoration of this historic establishment, which includes the addition of a new commercial kitchen and back-of-house facility. Smiley’s includes a seven room hotel, full bar and serves as a music and entertainment venue up to 5 nights per week.
We will be re-opening and serving Mexican-inspired fast casual food. We are located in West Marin, surrounded by outstanding family-owned organic farms, ranches, and wild harvesters who will supply most of our ingredients.
Smiley’s is dedicated to environmental sustainability, community engagement, and we support Independent Musicians as positive change-makers.Job description We are seeking an experienced General Manager to lead our unique, historic business into a new exciting era, ensuring that excellent new food offerings are integrated with the hotel and bar experience. Our new GM will have a very public and prominent role in our rural coastal town stewarding the Smiley’s legacy and it’s future.
Responsibilities of this job will include to:
~ Direct operations of all aspects of the business, in coordination with ownership and other leadership (EC, accounting firm, bar and assistant managers).
~ Perform hands-on work on an ongoing basis to ensure proper employee training, respond to customer service needs, and otherwise role-model appropriate behaviors in the business.
~ Control day-to-day operations by scheduling and monitoring labor, closely monitoring and analyzing product inventory and costs, and overseeing each department of the business.
~ Monitor and ensure appropriate staffing levels to minimize cost and increase productivity, while ensuring an excellent guest experience. Recommend staffing changes as needed, maintain and enforce proper time-keeping policies and procedures consistent with wage and hour regulations, recruit and hire staff, coordinating with ownership and EC on kitchen staff hiring.
~ Lead the staff, including recognizing and motivating members of the team and coaching and training the team for operational excellence.
~ Ensure compliance with all health and safety codes.
~ Control Profit & Loss (i.e., budget attainment both revenue and labor) by following cash control, security procedures, maintaining inventory, managing labor, and reviewing any financial reporting or goals.
~ Use incentives, training and discipline as necessary to ensure company standards are met by all staff.
~ Guarantee 100% customer satisfaction by auditing menu items and service performance and monitoring hotel conditions and experience.
~ Ensure a safe work environment and customer experience.
~ In coordination with ownership and legal council, assist with updating company guidelines and Employee Manual as necessary. Manage and train staff in compliance with company guidelines and relevant law.
~ Maintain strong leadership and management skills to work with a variety of employees at different skills levels and varied backgrounds.
~ Investigate and resolve complaints concerning guest experience.
~ Ensure and maintain compliance with all health and safety regulations.
~ Assist with marketing, advertising, and events or promotions.
~ Receive products, verify invoices and freshness of merchandise as directed.
Our ideal candidate will have the following experience and skill set:
* A minimum of 10 years in upscale high-volume or casual restaurant with Manager, General Manager, or Director level experience.
* Experience with hotel management.
* Local market experience preferred.
* Strong quantitative analytical skills and proven ability to meet P & L, COGS and Prime cost targets.
* Experience with inventory management using up-t0-date software.
* Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
* Team player with a positive attitude and problem-solving skills.
* Demonstrated working knowledge of local and state employment laws.
* Excellent written and verbal communication, customer service and dispute resolution skills.
* Strong working knowledge of Toast, or other comparable POS, as well as strong Microsoft Excel and computer skills.
* Ability to work weekends and holidays.
* Self-starter, independent thinker, cool under pressure, with demonstrated business problem solving, reasoning, motivating, and organizational abilities.
* ServSafe Manager Certified.
* Passion for music and sensitivity to operating in a close-knit community development.
Compensation & Benefits
* After hourly, part-time trial period, competitive salary based on experience.
* High profile position in an iconic establishment.
* Positive & professional working environment at a historic, woman-owned business
* Employer contribution to health benefits for full time employees.
* Bonuses tied to achievement of target “prime” metrics.
** Housing in BolinasCompensation this position is : salaried, 75k-100k Application instructions