Training and Production Manager Beautiful Day
- Date Posted September 10, 2020
- Location Providence, RI
- Category Education / Production
- Job type Full-Time
Beautiful Day believes in a team and cooperative approach to our work. Staff have the ability to grow and have input into the growth of the business and job training.
Beautiful Day is an innovative non-profit social venture with a mission to help refugees, especially youth and the most vulnerable, enter the job market and become welcomed, self-sufficient members of our community. We use all aspects of running a gourmet granola business from production to sales and fulfillment as a vehicle to provide essential on-the-job training for refugees.
We rent kitchen space and share office, storage, and fulfillment space at a local church in Cranston. We have an active, adventurous board of directors and advisors, and a staff team of 4 full-time, 9 part-time former refugee staff. For more information about our mission, vision and products, visit www.beautifuldayri.org.
We have been growing steadily for several years and are currently seeking a Training and Production Manager to both supervise all aspects of production and ensure the job training program participants are developing the necessary skills to enter the local workforce.
For your information regarding COVID-19 safety: Beautiful Day has developed and follows strong protocols. WE have developed rules to ensure the safety of our staff and trainees. We will continue making the necessary adjustments and following the state and federal guidelines going forward.
Our ideal candidate would have a love of learning and use this opportunity to build management and teamwork skills. It is helpful to have desire to teach/mentor people with low/no English literacy, but want to learn. Likely you will have background in culinary arts, production or manufacturing, kitchen management skills, and an educator’s vision for transforming entry-level work into vital learning opportunities.
As Production Manager, you would supervise all aspects of baking and production, ensuring that our gourmet products are market ready. As Training Manager, you would ensure that program participants receive appropriate training to work through their barriers, and develop the vital confidence and teamwork skills to successfully enter the job market.
This is not a do-it-alone solo role. The successful candidate would work closely with experienced kitchen assistants and executive team as we continue building an innovative, exciting, successful social venture that holds true to our mission. For the right team-player we can provide some training and adjust the job description.
- Oversee all aspects of kitchen production including setup, following recipes and honing other recipes, work flow, packaging, and clean up, while managing the staff team and paying close attention to quality control, food safety, employee/participant safety (Covid concerns), and record keeping.
- Basic operations: purchasing and receiving, sourcing ingredients, tracking inventory, managing the proper storage, staying within a budget
- Maintain trainee/employee timesheets and pay delivery
- Work closely with the Director of Operations and Training to improve our systems and protocols as we lay the foundations for a well-run food production facility. This could include improving operations manuals, recipes, inventory, data collection, adherence, crisis management/response etc.
- Oversee the realization of a training program for up to 30+ trainees and youth program participants per year.
- Wear an educator’s hat during kitchen shifts to ensure various activities and aspects of our work environment function effectively as an “on-the-job classroom” that teaches the hard and softs skills in our curriculum while fostering growth in language, communication, confidence, and community integration
- Supervise kitchen staff to create a motivated, disciplined, safe, joyful, and mission-driven teaching environment.
- Manage some basic services wraparound services such as end-of-shift transportation.
- Assist the Director of Operations and Training to track participant progress, and iterate to improve the effectiveness of our program
Qualifications and Skills
- ServeSafe Manager certification
- Experience in culinary arts as cook, baker, culinary instructor or kitchen manager preferred.
- 2 years staff management experience preferred.
- 2 years teaching/coaching experience preferred.
- Able to work with all levels of skills, language, literacy, and cultural literacy in the job training environment.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills that can adjust to diverse multi-cultural environments
- Competent with technology: email, MS Word, Excel; able to learn apps as needed for tracking and operations.
- Ability/willingness to work second shift (between noon and midnight).
- Driving license and good driving record (to use company vehicle)
- Willing to use (at least initially) personal laptop and phone for work.
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice, resettlement, or immigration work.
- A demonstrated commitment to developing authentic cross-cultural relationships
- The patience and sense of humor of a good hands-on teacher
- We’re posting this position as full time (35 hpw), though we currently only produce 3.5 days a week. For the right team-player we can adjust a job description. Work involves some set shifts and some flexible hours.
We want to get started ASAP, but understand the benefits of patience and it’s critical to us to find the right person.Compensation this position is : hourly, varies DOE, $16.50 - $18.00 Application instructions