Lead Buyer ROLLING GROCER 19
- Date Posted November 28, 2020
- Location Hudson, NY
- Category Business / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Rolling Grocer 19 is a mission driven grocery store located in Hudson, NY serving Hudson and the surrounding areas with our unique Fair Pricing System. We first opened as a mobile trailer selling food at five locations in the city of Hudson in September of 2018, and then as a brick and mortar store on 6 South 2nd Street in Hudson, NY in March of 2019. The storefront is currently open Tuesday through Friday, 1-7pm, and Saturdays and Sundays, 11am-4pm with the intention to expand hours in 2021. We also run a Curbside / Delivery program, packing orders in our Hudson store and delivering to customers in New Lebanon on Mondays, and serve Hudson area customers Wednesday - Saturday.Job description
Lead Buyer Job Description
The Lead Buyer is integral to the operations at RG19. We have expanded our product selection significantly since we first opened, and intend to streamline our selection over the coming years while we continue to expand store hours. In early 2021, we will install a new POS (point of sale) system that will increase our tier and inventory management, and purchasing capabilities. The Lead Buyer will be intimately involved in the learning and implementation of this new system, co-working with the Logistics and Retail Managers in this process. This person will join a team of adaptable individuals striving to increase the financial sustainability of our store, while also ensuring we fulfill our mission and uphold our values – they must be conscientious of these tenets in their work and aim to achieve them.
- Coordinating and managing purchasing and deliveries from approximately 30 vendors, including local farmers, regional producers and national distributors.
- Procure products according to the RG19 purchasing ethos, seeking the most competitive prices for the quality of products that RG19 customers expect.
- Monitor customer requests and follow market trends to anticipate customer needs.
- Add vendors and source new products as needed.
- Ensure timely delivery of products and appropriate inventory levels.
- Evaluate vendors and their product quality on an ongoing basis.
- Maintain POS system and manage inventory of ~ 1,000 products to minimize losses.
- Work with Retail Manager on product shelving and in-store merchandising.
- Coordinate twice annual physical inventory process and valuation.
- Communicate with staff and vendors regarding mis-picks and/or defective products; secure credits as necessary.
- Research competition and conduct monthly price comparisons at nearby competitors’ stores.
- Set product prices according to our Fair Pricing System.
- Track store financial benchmarks and metrics.
- Utilize historical data to anticipate purchasing needs in the future.
- Track and maintain records of purchases and submit invoices in coordination with our finance office.
- Update customers around new products weekly through social media posts and other types of promotion.
- Collaborate with the Rural Coordinator on online store management and maintenance.
- Maintain a high level of customer service both in-store, on the phone and in email communications.
- Work with the Logistics and Retail Managers on transitioning from Square POS system to ECRS/Catapult and overhaul our online store.
- This job is well suited to individuals who are self-directed, extremely organized, excellent at time management, adaptable to change, and work well in a collaborative team environment.
- Direct and healthy communication skills with managers and other team members; willingness to receive feedback and be comfortable asking questions.
- Experience in a sales environment and familiarity with Square POS System are a plus but not required.
- Familiarity with local agriculture, seasonal cycles, and/or natural foods preferred.
- Connection to Hudson / surrounding areas preferred.
This is not a remote position and requires working in the store, with the option to work from home when appropriate. We are looking to hire someone who is interested in a longer-term position with RG19. The Lead Buyer will report to the Logistics and Retail Managers.
- Ability to stand or sit for long periods at a time.
- Ability to bend, stoop, reach, and kneel.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds unassisted.
Expected work schedule / hours: Full time, salaried position, approximately 40 hours a week.
Early morning, evening and weekend hours required. A bulk of the purchasing must happen between 4PM Sunday and 9AM Monday on a weekly basis. Early morning hours are currently required on Thursdays. This is subject to change based on vendor deadlines and acquisition of new POS technology. Individual must be able to attend Tuesday and Wednesday bi-weekly meetings, four Advisory Board meetings annually, and other meetings as needed in addition to purchasing. The Lead Buyer has Fridays and Saturdays off.Compensation this position is : salaried Application instructions