Executive Director Farmer Foodshare +3 more
- Date Posted January 11, 2021
- Location Durham, NC
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
The Mission of Farmer Foodshare (FF) is to reshape the disconnected food system by removing barriers to growth and accessing local food. Their first strategy is a simple farmer's market-based approach through which volunteers collect food and monetary donations from market shoppers, buy from the farmers at the market, and donate the resulting food to a local hunger relief agency. Their second strategy, the Wholesale Market, purchases food from small to mid-sized farms looking for new markets and sells it to nonprofits serving low-wealth communities, schools, groceries, and other institutions.
In addition to these strategies, Farmer Foodshare found that education and support were needed to make the services more widely accessible. With these strategies and educational services, they provide additional markets for farmers, expand food access for all, and build a community around food.
To learn more about Farmer Foodshare, please visit their website at www.farmerfoodshare.org.Job description
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR – FARMER FOODSHARE – DURHAM, NC
EUC, LLC (EXECUCHANGE) – Search Firm
REQUEST: Do you have a commitment to and passion for the Farmer Foodshare mission? We seek a leader - persuasive, responsible, flexible, problem solver to collaborate with the Board. This leader will have the enthusiasm and professional energy, creativity, detail-oriented, highly organized, and a professional demeanor as part of this team. The right leader has an entrepreneurial spirit and will want to grow the organization. If you are a self-starter, results-driven, work independently, exceed goals, build relationships with ease, exhibit a strong work ethic, this opportunity may be for you!
The Executive Director will report to the Board of Directors. The position is an exempt, full time position.
- Ensure high-quality program delivery, evaluation, and reporting systems that promote effective personnel and financial resources utilization.
- Foster a culture of teamwork and accountability.
- Build a positive work culture that supports a productive, diverse, and professional work environment.
- Personnel – lead and manage; perform quarterly performance appraisals; communicate in huddles and staff meetings; support with policies and position descriptions; provide consistent accountability.
- Maintain focus on the engagement and retention of
- Sustain software platform processes.
- Create and implement wholesale market logistics.
- Ensure strong internal controls, fiscal responsibility, accountability, transparency, and efficient, accurate, and consistent financial operations and
- Develop, implement, and manage an annual budget for the Board's review and
- Perform daily, weekly, quarterly, yearly financial tracking, and analysis.
- Produce relevant financial reports for Board review.
- Prepare timely reports for the CPA.
Client/Donor Relations Management
- Oversee fundraising through donor relations, grants, and campaigns.
- Build and repair relationships with various stakeholders – farmers, community organizations, funders, leaders, etc.
- Work with current farmers and reach out to new farmers, current FF buyers, new buyers, current donors, and new donors.
- Cultivate positive and sustained relationships with local, state, and federal funders and foundations, corporations, and other major funding partners.
- Develop and implement a plan to expand relationships and partnerships that will lead to sustainable, diversified funding streams, and significant philanthropic investments.
- Serve as primary advocate, community builder, spokesperson, and administrator.
Strategic Planning/Development Management
- Collaborate with the FF Board and appropriate staff members to develop a strategic one-to-three-year plan to expand FF's influence and impact in Durham County and across NC for food distribution.
- Contact local, county, and state food distribution, nutrition, and public food assistance programs a plus.
Board Relations Management
- Work in partnership with the Board of Directors to ensure proper governance.
- Hold weekly meetings with Board Chair.
- Maintain regular communications with the Board of Directors and provide them with the necessary support, counsel, and information required for effective governance.
- Ensure a quality process for supporting the Board and their involvement in fundraising, strategic planning, program delivery, and increasing overall visibility.
- Institute a quality process for building the board base and diversifying its membership to reflect the community served.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college/university.
- Ten + years' experience as a nonprofit executive director, preferably in food systems, having worked with employees, donors, volunteers, Board of Directors, and growing the organization.
- Proven successful record in demonstrating sound judgment, administrative skills, and financial acumen necessary to oversee day-to-day operations, directing a staff of seven or more, and managing a budget of $1 million or more.
- Excels in managing staff and building teams – hire, fire, train, reward, promote, lead, inspire, coach, and motivate others.
- Uses QuickBooks for financial management.
- Demonstrates a track record of community building and maintaining relationships across many sectors that fosters a spirit of collaboration with social services agencies, agriculture, government officials, and community
- Substantiates fundraising experience with success in building dynamic relationships with key stakeholders, business and foundation leaders, and others who can influence individual, corporate, foundation, and government giving; experience cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major
- Attributes – leader, visionary, strategic, analytical, transparent, authentic, honest, passionate, collaborative, team builder, community advocate.
- Experienced in an understanding of food systems in North Carolina, advocacy and public policy are
- Works on-site with staff consistently.
SALARY & COMPENSATION: Commensurate with experience.
Farmer Foodshare is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity integrating diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice in each step in the search process.
this position is : salaried, 75k-100k