2021 Farm Apprenticeship Siena Farms
- Date Posted April 22, 2021
- Location Sudbury, MA
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Full-Time
We are seeking individuals who are motivated by a career interest in sustainable agriculture to join our 2021 team!
Siena Farms’ apprentices are hard-working, committed, honest, passionate individuals who participate in many daily farm operations, including production, harvest and processing. We expect each apprentice to approach tasks thoughtfully and purposefully, embracing a team work-ethic — it’s only by working together that we will attain the farms’ goals for quality production, and our apprentices’ personal goals like gaining farming knowledge, professional work-experience, and reaching potential next steps in their farming career.
Our apprenticeship program is modeled on traditional methods of learning a skilled trade through hands-on experience. We believe that an important way to learn to farm is by doing it in the real world. That is why we rely on our apprentices as integral, productive members of our fast-paced, for-profit farm operation. They are here to learn: we encourage questions, we encourage ideas, and we promise to listen.
The apprentice position is seasonal, with flexible start and end dates. Applicants should be prepared to lift upwards of 50lbs repeatedly and work in all weather conditions. Previous farming experience is preferred but not required.
Apprentices will participate in the following, as required by the growing season and farm managers:
- Planting, including greenhouse propagation and mechanical transplanting
- Cultivation/weed-control by hand and hoe
- Field work such as trellising, pruning, fencing & thinning
- Daily harvest of our 150+ varieties of vegetables, fresh herbs, fruits, and flowers
- Post-harvest handling, including washing, curing, packing, and transporting produce
- Preparation and packing of orders for restaurant deliveries and retail
- Preparation and packing of CSA Farm Shares for pickup and distribution
- Participation in farm outreach events such as CSA member farm-tours & volunteer days
- Bi-weekly EMass CRAFT farm-tours (TBD – dependent on pandemic)
- Group field walks with Farmer Chris and farm managers in the spring to learn from the fields and crops themselves
Our Apprentices, like all of our employees, are held to high standards for organization, communication, positive attitude, respect and kindness for coworkers, work quality, and professional agricultural work ethic and schedule.
- Position is seasonal with start dates between April and June and an end date around Thanksgiving
- Hours range from 50-60 hours per week, ramping up to peak production from July to November
- The farm is operational seven days a week in peak season, including holidays. Work schedules are either Sunday through Thursday or Tuesday through Saturday dependent on manager’s scheduling
- $13.50/hour, with overtime paid ($20.25/hour) for any hours over 40 in a single work-week; one hour paid lunch
- Farm-perks include weekly CSA share, and employee discounts at Siena Farms South End, Siena Farms BPM, and family restaurants Oleana, Sofra, and Sarma
Compensation this position is : hourly, $7.25/hr to $15/hr