Farmer Longest Acres Farm
- Date Posted September 01, 2021
- Location Chelsea, VT
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Part-Time
Longest Acres Farm is an Organic, Animal Welfare Approved beef and pork farm in Chelsea, Vermont. The farm supplies restaurants and CSA’s in the Boston area with top quality meats. We make our own hay, breed all our own stock and operate a rotationally grazed, management intensive pasture system on 60 acres of increasingly decent grass.
Additionally, we host events, dabble in agri-tourism, ride horses for fun and make things like soap, firewood and animal huts. A pond and 150 acres of forests and trails provide an added benefit to enjoy while working here.
Our mission is to improve the quality of life for all the creatures we contact.Job description
The Longest Acres Farmer will work closely with the Head Farmer, who will manage workload and training. In general, the Farmer will be responsible for:
- Daily chores for pigs; checking feeders, hand feeding breeders, checking water ~ 1 hr
- Daily summer chores for cows; checking water, moving fence-lines ~ 1 hr
- Winter chores for cows;
- feeding round bales every other day ~ 1 hour
- Providing bedding to cow barn once per week ~ 4 hours
- Bi-Weekly Pig chores; filling automatic feed bins ~ 2 hours
- Monthly chores; assisting catching animals for slaughter ~ 2 hours
- House-sitting for head farmer while delivering meat
- Annual and Semi-Annual work: manure spreading, hay making, logging, firewood processing.