Interim Operations Manager Southwest Washington Food Hub
- Date Posted September 21, 2021
- Location Tumwater, WA
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job type Full-Time
About the SW WA Food Hub
Flood events, development pressure, loss of processing facilities, and diminished competitive advantages are threatening agriculture in Southwest Washington at a time when the infrastructure necessary to develop alternative markets is not yet available. The Southwest Washington Growers’ Cooperative was formed in December of 2019 to address these issues.
The SW WA Growers Cooperative is committed to upholding a strong mission, focusing on member engagement, and operating in an efficient and transparent manner.
The Southwest Washington Food Hub operates as part of the Cooperative and offers aggregation, distribution, and marketing services to its members. The Food Hub operates out of a warehouse located in Tumwater WA.
The Hub’s online marketplace provides access to locally grown food from multiple farms. We have created a single order, single payment method, that is open 24/7 via our online marketplace.
The Interim Operations Manager we seek must understand the social and cultural qualities of our region and its food system, have a strong sense of demand, and sales potential, and possess the following:
- A strong commitment to all scales of SW WA agriculture, and an appreciation of diverse production practices
- The desire to listen to, actively engage with and support a broad range of spirited stakeholders
- An appetite for problem-solving that respects both the opinions of others and the need to operate effectively
- The practical and managerial skills necessary to support the day-to-day operations of a food storage, and distribution service
- An eagerness to develop and the capacity to maintain positive relationships with producers, customers, communities, markets, and other
This will be a dynamic position with the opportunity to provide input, guide process, and shape outcomes.
The Interim Operations Manager will:
- Help fulfill the SW WA Food Hub’s mission to create new markets, achieve sustainability, and overcome barriers, and build a more consistent and broader range of products for local consumers by providing access to multiple producers, further driving market interest, and creating a sustainable local food system.
- Support the Board and the membership in achieving goals and in developing a functional and dynamic enterprise that serves the region’s agricultural producers
Business and Financial Management
- Provide information to the Food Hub Committee and Co-op Board, and attend board meetings, retreats, and member events
- Financial functions including but not limited to invoicing and preparing producer payments and managing accounts receivable and accounts payable
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports as needed
Food Hub Operations
- Assist in managing a web-based software platform for sales
- Support members in developing and maintaining their presence within the web platform
- Assist in the implementation of the operating plan
- Coordinate employee and member-volunteers' activities
- Oversee and participate in on-site operations
- Oversee and participate in facilities and fleet maintenance
- Oversee and assist in operational functions including packing and delivery
- Pursue, develop, and maintain positive relationships with producers, customers, communities, markets, and others that share our vision and support our mission
- Share relevant promotional opportunities, and need-to-know information regarding the Hub and its members with the marketing team
- Know and uphold food safety laws and standards
- Know and maintain compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal regulations
- Be or become familiar with job site worker safety training and compliance, including in warehouse work environments and for delivery drivers
- Other related assignments as necessary
- Passion for food and agriculture, and a belief in the importance of a vibrant local food system
- Relevant experience in the commodities/food/agricultural industry
- Experience in managing inventory and sales
- Proficient with basic software and technology (MS Office Suite, Dropbox, Google Drive, QuickBooks, smartphones)
- Experience working with Local Foods Marketplace or similar online sales platform/s and/or able to learn new systems and software
- Some driving will be required for this position, so a valid Washington state driver's license and clean driving record are required for insurance purposes. A personal vehicle isn't required, as long as candidates have the ability to reliably get to the warehouse in Tumwater.
- Alignment with cooperative values and structure
- Experience working with a board of directors preferred
Candidate must be
- Self-motivated; able to manage multiple priorities, problem solve and achieve results with minimal supervision
- Highly organized, and have strong problem-solving, and analytical skills
- An excellent written and verbal communicator
- Able to work well independently
The Operations Manager is supervised by the Southwest Washington Growers’ Cooperative’s General Manager and is accountable to the Food Hub Committee and the Cooperative’s Board of Directors.
This is a full-time exempt position with a salary of $3,500-$3,700/month plus benefits. This position will work in the SW WA Food Hub warehouse in Tumwater. Some evening and/or weekend hours and local/regional travel will be required for meetings. Travel expenses are reimbursed. Benefits (vacation, sick leave, and health insurance) are provided.
Compensation this position is : hourly, $20/hr + Application instructions