Founding Farmer Wally Farms
- Date Posted September 22, 2021
- Location Hillsdale, NY
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Full-Time
The climate crisis is the biggest threat and opportunity for humanity. We are exploring new ways of living and land stewardship aimed at reducing atmospheric carbon.
This farm is a living research project on how to build a collaborative food system that benefits the climate, ecology and eater.
To ensure accessibility of this model we are committed to providing open source education throughout the process, offering diversified programs and agritourism offerings.
In our work, we seek to solicit redistribution of land and resources and uplift those already working to build a regenerative community. We are throwing away the rule book, welcoming unorthodox approaches of how to farm and connect.
We are an arm of the Spark of Hudson - a community learning hub that provides open source educational content, developed in collaboration with local partners.Job description
Dream of starting your own farm that nourishes your community? Now is your chance!
Wally Farms is seeking its founding crops farmer (or farmers) who is/are ready to take the next step and build a healthy crops system, from the ground up.
To begin the aim is to cultivate a small market garden, no more the 6 acres. Wally Farms is home to1000 acres of forest with some field space. We will use the winter to plan and prep for the spring.
We are committed to investing in required equipment and seek to build relationships with the surrounding community.
This is an opportunity to start a diversified produce farm that focuses on health of soil and surrounding community. We are seeking two or more experienced farmers to lead the development of the farm team. The farm developer will be intimately involved in the design and execution of the farm plan. They will have autonomy over all aspects of farm operations: designing and implementing an infrastructure plan, cultivation and field preparation management, seeding, transplanting, weed and pest management, harvesting and processing crops.
The farm developer will work as the manager of the farm in collaboration with Wally Farms project manager, our Education team, our Woodlands team and the container-based growing team.
The farm developer will be responsible for hiring, training, and building their farm team. They will implement a crop and compost plan, work closely with local chefs, educators and the community.
- At least 2 seasons farming experience is preferred and hospitality, culinary, apothecary, retail, design, entertainment, arts or education experience is a bonus.
- Familiarity with tools, implements, compost systems, refrigeration, water systems, education, permaculture design, greenhouses and knowledge of how to design, care for and fix them.
- Passion and commitment to build soil health
- Enthusiasm to develop an accessible farm that is open to the community for agritourism, programming and learning.
- Excellent work ethic and a desire to work outside in all weather conditions
- Positive and collaborative attitude and ability to jump into impromptu interactions with guests
- Ability to work independently and take the initiative to see projects through to completion, and keep open lines of communication with team members
- Drivers license and clean driving record // This is to get to and from work and pick up supplies as there is no public transport.
The position will begin as a full time, non-exempt salaried position plus full benefits and housing may be possible. There are options to roll off salary and build a pathway to a farmer owned model.Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineNovember 10, 2021