General Manager Levain Bakery +18 more
- Date Posted September 23, 2021
- Location New York, NY
- Category Business / Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
Competitive swimmers and triathletes, Pam Weekes and Connie McDonald passed their grueling workouts by engaging in passionate conversations about starting their own company and baking, which ultimately inspired them to leave their respective careers in fashion and finance. They opened a small bread shop in 1995, which they named Levain Bakery.
One day, they created an ultimate chocolate chip walnut cookie to give them energy while training for a triathlon. They decided to sell a batch in their bakery, and they flew off the shelves. An icon was born. The cozy shop on West 74th Street quickly became a neighborhood favorite and a destination for epicurious travelers from around the world, hungry for the world-famous six-ounce cookies.
From the start they baked everything fresh on-site each day and donated the day’s leftovers to charity each night, actions that remain solidly in place almost 25 years later. Levain Bakery now has locations in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic more to come, plus ecommerce gift boxes, and delicious bites of cookie joy in grocery stores nationwide.
We strive every day to embody our company’s five core values: Community, Fun, Integrity, Kindness, and Heart and are excited to welcome new team members to help bring a little piece of Levain cookie love to recipients in New York and beyond!
THE ROLE: GENERAL MANAGER (NYC)
General Managers oversee all aspects of day-to-day bakery operations, including anticipating demand, supporting and developing team members, ensuring a positive customer experience, and maintaining high morale. They also coordinate payroll and scheduling, partner with our Operations team to resolve equipment repairs and on larger initiatives and assist with other administrative and strategic projects. The ideal candidate has extensive experience in the food and beverage industry, a passion for people development, and strong project management and operational abilities.
What you’ll do:
- Manage day-to-day operations, including maintaining DOH standards, creating the weekly schedule, administering payroll, performing regular maintenance of equipment, and overseeing inventory and purchasing.
- Coach, develop, and train team members, helping address areas for growth and fostering high-potential talent at every level. Our team members come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences, and whether they want to build long-term careers in the food and beverage industry or are interested in pursuing a different passion, we want to make sure they primed and ready for their next professional opportunity.
- Cultivate an inclusive culture and positive work environment for all team members.
- Model superior customer service, providing a warm and welcoming environment for every customer that walks into one of our bakeries. We’re fortunate to have locals and tourists alike visit our bakeries and want everyone to feel the Levain love when they’re with us.
- Partner with central administrative team, particularly Operations, Finance, and HR, on larger initiatives and projects related to operational procedures, financial forecasting and reporting, and team member recruitment and coaching.
- Strategize and recommend changes in order to hit sales goals, increase foot traffic, manage costs, and improve relationships with vendors and community members.
What we’re looking for:
- 4-5 years of prior supervisory experience in a food/beverage or retail environment; Levain experience a plus.
- Food Protection Certificate required.
- Passion for what you do – you love both the people and business sides of the food industry and are great at thinking through both challenges and opportunities in either area.
- Adaptability and flexibility – you recognize that in the food industry, anything can – and will – happen and you’re able to calmly troubleshoot issues.
- Eye for detail – you understand how to break down larger goals into day-to-day action and are inherently meticulous and strategic.
- Collaborative spirit and commitment to Levain’s core values – you’re a team player and willing to lend a hand or elevate those around you and you’re the first to jump in if extra help is needed in either the front of back-of-house. You add your own individuality to an already positive and uplifting work environment. A good sense of humor doesn’t hurt either!
- Full-time; scheduling flexibility with weekend availability required
- Dynamic work environment with a warm and supportive team
- Health, vision, dental insurance with employer-funded HRA
- Additional supplemental benefits: transit benefits, dependent care account, pet insurance, etc.
- 3 weeks paid time off (after waiting period)
- Quarterly bonus potential up to 20% of base salary
- 401K with company match (after waiting period)
- Opportunity for career development
Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline