Collection Field Assistant Seed Savers Exchange +2 more
- Date Posted September 24, 2021
- Location Decorah, IA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
This position will support Seed Savers Exchange with foundational work of seed regeneration and distribution. It includes a wide range of responsibilities from seeding in the greenhouse, tending crops in the field, all the way to shipping seeds and plants to our customers. With a focus on propagation and regeneration projects in the greenhouse (spring), this year-round position also includes assisting with field preparations, transplanting, field maintenance, seed harvesting, and seed processing (summer and fall), as well as seed packaging and shipping room support (winter).
Starting wage: $15.00/hr
Applications reviewed on a rolling basis. Priority deadline: October 8, 2021. Position open until filled.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:Greenhouse: March* to mid-June
*This month will be a transition from the Seed House to the Greenhouse, which may entail a few days of work each week in each area.
- Sowing, watering, fertilizing, transplant maintenance in a greenhouse setting
- Scouting for pests and diseases
- Releasing beneficial insects
- Applications of organically approved seed treatments
- Following organic standards and organizational protocols to ensure genetic purity of accessions
- Sanitizing work environments and equipment
- Maintaining accurate records and data entry in a timely manner
- Weekend care of nursery crops
- Other duties as assigned by the Greenhouse Coordinator or Seed Production Manager
Field Work: Mid-June to November**
**This month will be a transition from the field to the Seed House, which may entail a few days of work in each area.
- Maintaining accurate field planting and harvest records
- Maintaining field plots by transplanting, weeding (manual and mechanical), weed whipping, fencing, setting up isolation cages, mulching,and trellising
- Tearing down fields at the end of the season, including trellises, fencing, landscape fabric, isolation cages, etc.
- Performing wet and dry seed harvesting and processing; this includes seed extraction, threshing, and winnowing
- May be required to lead specific tasks in the field
- Other duties as assigned by the Collection Field Coordinator or Seed Production Manager
Seed House: Mid-November to Mid-March
- Support the needs of the Seed House by preparing and processing orders for shipment.
- Pick orders, validate items/lot numbers, and pack into appropriate containers.
- Process shipments and accept seed into inventory using integrated shipping software.
- Fill retail and bulk seed packets by hand and by automated machine
- Assist Inventory Manager with germination tests
- Perform additional duties as directed by the Shipping Manager or Sales and Business Director.
- Ability to work in varying weather conditions
- Ability to stand, kneel, walk, climb, push, and pull for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 100 lbs (assisted) and lift/carry at least 50 pounds (unassisted)
- One year greenhouse experience or work experience with organic vegetable, flower, and/or herb production preferred
- Applicant must be an enthusiastic, detail-oriented, flexible team player.
- Ability to keep accurate, detailed records in a fast paced work environment
- Applicants must have reliable transportation to and from work
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license
- Demonstrated horticultural observation and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated self-direction and ability to work alone, particularly in a greenhouse setting
- Demonstrated teamwork and ability to do group tasks
- Ability to follow specific protocols and safety procedures
- Paid time off
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Long Term Disability
- Paid Life Insurance
- Employee Merchandise Discounts
- Employee/family health insurance
- 401(k) with employer match after eligibility period